2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 3)

14 Likes
4 Likes
7 Likes

Direct. Quote. :+1:

Eerste Minister Rutte kan wel uitstekend goed Engels. :grin:

13 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes
6 Likes
4 Likes

An idea with truly biblical scope,:thinking: I think the classical recommendation was 20% stocks per year to storage.

there has been no serious military analysis of what the military requirements for a Nato defense commitment to Ukraine would be.

What?! The author’s qualifications seem reasonable but that whole piece seems fluffy.

:ukraine: is going to have the only army in NATO that has fought a war for survival battling the one country that NATO was organized to contain. They know NATO weapons, they know :ru: weapons, they know NATO tactics, they have fought alongside NATO trained volunteers. They know exactly what their defense requirements are, and thanks to this brutal fight, so do we.

Not inviting :ukraine: to NATO is not inviting your top athlete to the national team.

9 Likes

The problem with admitting Ukraine right now is that it would commit the entirety of NATO to a war with Russia, which would be a cakewalk and utterly humiliating for Putin, who still has a stockpile of nukes. How many are still working? Who knows, but I will bet it is more than none, and that could pose a problem. Not claiming I have an answer, but important to think through the knock-on effects of our actions. (Also, I think there is a requirement for a country to be in control of its territory prior to admission? But I could be totally wrong as well.)

13 Likes

Yeah, that’s the only reason not to bring Ukraine into NATO, and it’s a very good one. Which is why this guy disingenuously complaining about other stuff is so annoying.

5 Likes

I agree that “now” is tricky, and IIRC not being in control of their territory is a blocking condition for NATO entry anyhow. But the minute the last :ru: soldier in :ukraine: is waving the white flag…

Putin won’t survive long enough, after giving the order to launch nukes, to actually press the proverbial button.

5 Likes

I hope this is correct. Losing in Ukraine could be enough of a humiliation for him to take the coward’s way out, but he has the ability to take a big chunk of the world with him.

7 Likes
8 Likes