2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine (Part 3)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-07-10/turkey-agrees-to-advance-sweden-s-nato-bid-official-says

Turkey has blinked,and is now allowing Sweden into the bloc.

And I hope Sweden join, then go right back to supporting the Kurdish people.

10 Likes

Screenshot 2023-07-11 at 11-02-54 James Canning-Cooke on Twitter

8 Likes

Perhaps I am particularly thick but doesn’t this incentivise Russia to continue the war indefinitely? I mean, they’re not likely to stop any time soon regardless, but this seems to me to give them even more reason not to.

2 Likes
8 Likes

We value our allies. We value our shared security. And we always appreciate an open conversation.
Ukraine will be represented at the NATO summit in Vilnius. Because it is about respect.

But Ukraine also deserves respect. Now, on the way to Vilnius, we received signals that certain wording is being discussed without Ukraine.

And I would like to emphasize that this wording is about the invitation to become NATO member, not about Ukraine’s membership.

It’s unprecedented and absurd when time frame is not set neither for the invitation nor for Ukraine’s membership. While at the same time vague wording about “conditions” is added even for inviting Ukraine.

It seems there is no readiness neither to invite Ukraine to NATO nor to make it a member of the Alliance.

This means that a window of opportunity is being left to bargain Ukraine’s membership in NATO in negotiations with Russia. And for Russia, this means motivation to continue its terror.

Uncertainty is weakness. And I will openly discuss this at the summit.

11 Likes

:pleading_face:

Season 2 Strength GIF by Paramount+

7 Likes

Seizing funds would help finance reconstruction and act as a deterrent, but it could let Putin paint himself as the victim

Doesn’t he do that already?

10 Likes
8 Likes
13 Likes

Of course, some people will unironically insist that he is, still indeed, a master strategist…

9 Likes

Some of them are the same people who continue to insist that Elon Musk is a super-genius.

8 Likes

Well, they are white men in positions of power, so they must have gotten there by their own genius and grit, right! Not like those POC who got affirmative actioned into places they don’t belong! /s

Angry Ariana Grande GIF by NETFLIX

8 Likes

The Venn diagram:

:dart:

5 Likes

If and when Sweden joins NATO, the Baltic will be a NATO lake, removing most of Kaliningrad’s military usefulness, and ensuring that in case of any conflict between Russia and NATO, St. Petersburg and any naval units based there will be bottled in.

8 Likes

A good reminder to set high privacy restrictions on Strava.

6 Likes
7 Likes

Downed Drone Lamp

6 Likes
6 Likes

The spot where a Ukrainian assault attempt in early June lost several Western armored vehicles, and which was quickly paraded by Russia as “proof” that the Ukrainian counter-offensive was a failure, is now safely under Ukrainian control. Looks like Russians never finished destroying the vehicles, so they may yet be repaired or at least used for spare parts.

13 Likes
8 Likes