23 pairs of twins graduate from same middle school

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/21/23-pairs-of-twins-graduate-from-same-middle-school.html

3 Likes

Contributed by Natalie Dressed

4 Likes

There was a radio Confession in which a twin admitted that, even though he attended school with his identical brother, his other only had school photos of one of them, as the scamps would swap places while in the queue to get photographed.

That just sounds like Vault-Tec needs to work on better containment

1 Like

it’s because of fertility drugs; plus the increase in people deciding to have children later in life, which increases the odds due to body changes in the mother.

the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has actually reported that the birth rate for twins has been on the rise since 1980, especially for mothers over age 35.

my initial search for “fertility drugs twins” was full of results informing you how to use drugs to increase your chances of twins. i.e. people are trying for them specifically now.
but hey, more power to them, I guess.

3 Likes

If you have to go through IVF to get pregnant, not needing to do it twice could well be a deciding factor.

1 Like

4 Likes

Kinda-sorta.

In the United States pretty much all couples who seek IVF treatment have to pay out of pocket and each attempt costs many thousands of dollars, so even if they’re only trying for one child they usually have two or more embryos implanted to increase the odds that at least one will take.

In other countries where IVF is subsidized by socialized medical coverage they usually only do one at a time, so multiple births are much rarer.

From my family’s experience with IVF I don’t think most doctors actually try to help women conceive multiples since those pregancies are riskier for mother and children alike.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.