30 things veteran game designer Brian Upton hates about your pitch

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/02/30-things-veteran-game-designe.html

6 Likes

Hate a strong emotion.

So in other words, act as if you’ve worked a day in your life?

5 Likes

K59zp_f-thumbnail-100-0_s-600x0

10 Likes

“I know your character will be able to open a door” - wait, I thought this guy was supposed to be experienced?

Kidding aside, that was pretty interesting.

2 Likes

This is great! Cut it down to 5 minutes and you’ve got a classic Brian Posehn rant. :slight_smile:

Kind of sad that a lot of his advice is basically some version of Wheaton’s Law… #23, “you seem like you’d be a huge pain in the ass to work with”, #24, “you expect me to know who you are”, #26, “we’re watching the pitch on your phone”, #28, “You’re hungover, or drunk, or high”, and of course, #30, “you need to take a shower.” Yikes.

2 Likes

My wife’s response to these points was, “This is how you can tell that the target audience for this talk is mostly dudes.”

8 Likes

This applies not just to game pitches, but also to many other situations in which you are presenting proposals. Well worth to watch.

Love the Sean Spicer photo accompanying #25 “You’re annoyed that I’m asking questions”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.