30ft remote control airplane has 50 engines

I had forgotten that James Earl Jones was in that movie.

1 Like

The structure got a bit ‘bendy’ before the plane decided to flop over, but it looked like it wanted to fly and could have (before an inevitable disintegration, however carefully flown) but for the controlled tight turn to avoid the trees. That turn. Flown outside its performance envelope?

1 Like

And his character is the only member of the crew who even considers to question their orders before getting ready to drop 50 MT worth of thermonuclear fire on whatever target they are sent to.

1 Like

From what he was saying, it sounded like he couldn’t get it OUT of that turn. And yeah, that steep bank was definitely outside of it’s performance envelope. I was reminded of this crash. B 52 JET AIRCRAFT CRASH At Fairchild Air Force base. All Hell Breaks Loose by Roy Dawson video - YouTube

4 Likes

Oh, yea. That was the crash involving a pilot with a history of questionable flying skills/ decision-making. And they still let him fly.

3 Likes

Steppenwolf were decades ahead of their time with their anthem for EVs.

Get your motor runnin’
Head out on the highway
Lookin’ for adventure
And whatever comes our way

2 Likes

The Lillium Electric Jet’s current flying prototype is a five-passenger aircraft sporting 36 electric ducted fans embedded in the wings and the front canard, both of which can rotate the fans downward for VTOL performance.

All flight control uses vectored thrust produced by varying wing tilt and fan speeds. There is no tail, no rudder, no ailerons - it’s a pretty slick design.

Here’s some good detail on the engineering:

5 Likes

I thought the question was, do you want 50 motor sized engines or one engine sized motor, or maybe it was just a motor motor, or perhaps 50 engine sized motors. I’m almost certain the answer is somewhere between “yes” and 50.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.