31-year-old male bald eagle, Murphy, who tried to incubate a rock, might be getting his own baby bird to raise after all!

Originally published at: 31-year-old male bald eagle, Murphy, who tried to incubate a rock, might be getting his own baby bird to raise after all! | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Any ornithologists here? I’m just curious as to whether male eagles (or any bird for that matter) tend to do incubating duties? We usually read “mama bird” doing XYZ but I know that lots of birds do form parental units as well, but never put my mind to wondering how those family units are structured and how labour is divided.

5 Likes

You should google And Tango Makes Three. The story of a couple of gay male penguins who hatched an egg and had a happy family.

christo-facists have exploding head syndrome
about it and the book is banned every place tiny
minds can dominate. The birds on the hand couldn’t
give a shit less what right-wingers think

14 Likes

9 Likes

I believe most birds take it in turns. While papa sits on the eggs, mama can go and feed herself and vice versa.

5 Likes

13 Likes

Someone warn the conservatives that bald eagles have gone woke.

2 Likes

This eagle is incubating a roc? We’d better watch out when it hatches!

10 Likes

They could auction Murphy’s Rock to fund the sanctuary.

2 Likes

Right? They say it’s unnatural… yet Nature has other ideas. :blush:

1 Like

1 Like

He did get a chick.

2 Likes

I think lots alternate. I’ve heard eagles take turns but I don’t know for sure. My emu rancher friends tell me it’s only the male emus who sit the eggs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.