33-year-old mother enrolled in high school as a 15-year-old

I think she pulls it off well…

2 Likes

Maybe she could try Secondlife?

No snark or flippancy intended.

2 Likes

I think of “identity” as being a corny artificial construct anyway. But the scary/tragic bit for me was:

Brown danced to “Cotton-Eye Joe”—the 1995 record by the novelty country
band Rednex—more times than any 33-year-old woman should ever have to.

A shudder ran through me at that!

3 Likes

I was struck by how sad and beaten-down she looked in that pic, aye.

2 Likes

I was thinking this one:

2 Likes

I’m not sure I see the crime here? Identity theft with no monetary gain? Is that even a thing?

2 Likes

Actually what I linked was something rediculously similar. It’s a new series called Re:Life, where a 27 yr old man, lost on his life, is given the chance to return to his 17 yr old body for one year to relive his high school life.

For second life, I don’t think it gives you quite that necessary specificity she was looking for.

Where I live, municipalities are super-obsessive with making sure that only locals are enrolled in public schools, for tax purposes. So in this case the daughter would be double-dipping by being enrolled in two public schools simultaneously, which could be sort of fraud.

What bothers me about region-specific stuff like this is that they usually require a specific location, rather than abide a boundary. Why should I live in a fixed address, when the important thing should be only that I live in town? Likewise, why have an address to vote or drive when my obligation is only to be within the boundaries of the state? It deliberately discriminates against nomadic people.

There is probably nothing stopping a 30-40 year old from enrolling in a public high school under their own name, although many people would think it was weird.

1 Like

Are you sure it’s not more like this?

8 Likes

I guess she watched Never Been Kissed one too many times.

As an aside if you’ve ever really dug into the plot of that film it goes from “cute romcom” to “totally fucked up” pretty quickly.

1 Like

Actually, there is. There is generally an age/time limit. At many schools, you have four years to graduate and I believe you can’t be older than 19 during your senior year. Most school districts have adult education schools for students who are older or who may need to make up credits that will exceed their four years of high school. Also, high school campuses are often closed to public during school hours, so this woman could have been charged with trespassing if applicable.

8 Likes

I was guessing that this would vary by municipality, but I would not be surprised if what you are saying is mostly true. People love jumping on with their easily stereotyped behaviors.

I am dealing with that in my town. I disagree that “trespassing” is even possible with public land and/or buildings, and am refining strategies for fixing that. But that’s a story for a different topic.

There may be some schools that fall under municipal control (thinking NYC?), but it can vary by state because school districts and city governments are often two separate entities. In California, district school board members are elected and their primary responsibility is to their constituents, not the city.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. I’ll just clarify that I’m a former fully credentialed California teacher.

2 Likes

That people often act in similar ways, simply because other people are doing it. Resulting in what seem to be statistical trends, but with little actual deliberation behind them.

Well, credentials are rather subjective. After all, everybody has their own criteria.

1 Like

Well, I partially disagree with this as there are steps to ensure credentialing and the state has very clear objective standards. I will stipulate that assessments of actual student teaching can vary by the person doing the assessment of competency, but political decisions are in every profession.

Still not clear if you’re equating people with institutions. Districts are institutions and are made up with human decision-makers. However, these decisions to close campuses have to do with risk, liability (insurance), and accountability (parents and accreditation*). Every minor issue (hiring, firing, contracts, school trips) generally go through the school board. And in California, 95% of board decisions are transparent due to the (Pat) Brown Act.

*I mentioned accreditation because grades 9-12 must go through this process every three to six years. For western U.S. schools, a safe campus is very important part of accreditation. If you have a child who is college bound, you want your high school to get the equivalent A/B+ score.

2 Likes

I was almost certain I read the story of Justin Laboy who was convinced to buy marijuana for an undercover cop posing as a high school student here but I can’t seem to find it. It’s a pretty depressing story of adults being allowed to pass themselves off as high school students.

Oh, great, now I have to see it.

1 Like

Perfect. Jerri Blank (Strangers with Candy) gifs also acceptable…

To be fair, until the past 2 or 3 years, I regularly got mistaken for a teenager (I’m 40 next year).

6 Likes

In case you would rather it just be spoiled and save the two hours of your life for something else, Cracked has a great summary here:

2 Likes

Each Freaky Friday remake is worse than the one before!

1 Like