347 risk analysts were asked: "What are the most likely risks for the world over the next year and a half?"

Good list! This one’s especially inspired:

Some more…
Kangaroos are successfully hybridized with bats, creating a prolific species of vampire kangaroos.
Dolphins finally decide they’ve had enough of our shit and show us what they’ve been holding back.
All mountains invert simultaneously.
Salt switches instantaneously to sugar and the oceans become covered in ants.

15 Likes

“we lose the moon” - give N. K. Jemesin’s “Shattered Earth” series a read.

6 Likes

Logged in just to like this.

2 Likes

Kangaroos are successfully hybridized with bats, creating a prolific species of vampire kangaroos.

Vamparoos!

(…honestly, I can’t wait!)

9 Likes

First of all…what’s with that ugly and unreadable swirl? It has nothing to do with the data they are actually presenting.

Second, why are the two environmental concerns at less than 15%, way lower than “Remote working cyber attacks” and some other more benign stuff. It makes me think these risk analyzers are a little short sighted.

4 Likes

We’re going to need a bigger kale!

1 Like

Now you’ve got me thinking about fabulous, bounding drag queens. That has to go on the other list, the potentially awesome things to come. :slightly_smiling_face:

What, “Risk of ugly infographic”, and “Risk of listening to so-called experts making useless predictions” did not make the list?

6 Likes

Yeah, where’s the risk that 99% (or a simple majority) will rise up to demand UBI? :thinking:

7 Likes

welp…

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2018/03/red-squirrel-infanticide-Yukon-cannibalism/

That’s so checks notes 2016?

That year sucked too.

Wait… what about Doctor Who fans? Who do they back?

That’s only right and just. Also, best soundtrack at the Grammys?

Jinx!

As long as it’s not Zombie Harry Dean Stanton…

queen-elizabeth-really-please|nullxnull

w7LVD

24 Likes

Neil Stephenson’s Seveneves is another good one.

7 Likes

You haven’t seen “The Windsors” then? That was almost an actual plotline (but it was Camilla offering herself to Trump IIRC).

1 Like

That poor baby. Half lizard - half asshole.

3 Likes

The UN (finally) declares the US FDA’s 2013 ban on Mimolette imports a crime against humanity.

TIL I learned about cheese mites.

5 Likes

Just gonna recycle this one here:

… the Seveneves reference I made was in a different thread.

Uh, here’s some Haribo Gummi Happi Cola Bottles instead.

https://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummi-Candy-Happy-Cola/dp/B000EVMNM8

3 Likes

Awww… come on!

It needs to be a chalk board and show the Vegas line, like grown up bookies use

1 Like

As did I.

1 Like

Somewhat interesting aside: I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Queen has stopped breeding corgis as she’s aware of her mortality.

4 Likes

Paris, Texas retroactively wins the Oscar.

Ry Cooder

Still happens.

I enjoyed Repo Man, but Paris, Texas was a masterpiece.

4 Likes

Needs its own BBS topic thread.

1 Like