John Oliver updates us on the current state of the Mueller Investigation

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/11/john-oliver-updates-us-on-the.html

3 Likes

14 Likes

28 Likes

He’s sabotaging it right now!

26 Likes

By strengthening our enemies, and alienating our allies?

Ensuring WW3 is fought on our soil. Securing his reelection to rule with an iron fist over the smoking remains.

The King of the Nothing Kingdom.

11 Likes

tumblr_p9xkvoT1uz1r3aa23o1_540

26 Likes

If that happens Maralago and all his other favorite toys are toast, mark my words.

Yertle the Turtle once thought he was ‘all powerful and untouchable’ too…

11 Likes

I for one will be driving there after my visit to Trump Tower Chicago.

7 Likes

I’m sure there must be a property (or several) out here with his name on it that will be fair game.

3 Likes

What’s the odds he’s paid up on his insurance premiums?
On second thought that might be the only way he can make any money…

5 Likes

How do you figure that?

3 Likes

I’m mostly being hyperbolic here. But I can squint and imagine a Tom Clancy-esque worst case scenario where this comes to pass.

6 Likes

Given his penchant for stiffing basically anyone he owes money to?

Hmmm…

8 Likes

Ah. Gotcha. I guess I could maybe do that too, but it seems far more likely that we get involved in yet another imperialist war abroad, if you ask me. It’s always a great distraction.

7 Likes

This could be how that scenario starts. Everyone always raises a stink when we do this, but nobody has the military might to do anything about it. Imagine a market crash during one such a conflict which ends not with a huge bank bailout, but with the banks failing. Then imagine China and Russia and whomever else deciding that North America’s resources look like they might be nice to divide up among themselves during a time in which we can’t pay our troops to come to work.

5 Likes

Well then it’s a good thing there aren’t any unprecedented summit meetings between volatile nuclear powers coming up that could easily go awry because of the thin-skinned dictator/demagogue doing the negotiating.

Oh.

12 Likes

You just nailed my entire problem with the Hunger Games franchise; something (we’re never told exactly what) cataclysmic happens that completely destroys ‘the American Way of Life™’… but somehow the US’s biggest rivals for world power don’t descend upon us like a swarm, to divy up all the remaining resources?!?

The only way that would even be plausible is if something equally catastrophic had happened to those countries as well… but the author never even bothers to address that glaring lack of logic in her ‘world building…’

8 Likes

At least one character did note that the last World War nearly wiped out humanity, the author just never went into specifics about the war. I’m usually fine letting that kind of thing slide in postapocalyptic fiction.

Who nuked Australia between Mad Max and The Road Warrior? Don’t know and don’t really care as long as the rest of the movie holds up.

5 Likes

I can’t wait for the mandatory police body cameras’ A.I. to capture my protestations
to have it effect my credit score, my Piggy Wiggly Rewards Card, and how much my car registration costs.

3 Likes

It had to have been a very off-handed mention, by a minor character; because I read all three novels, and I genuinely dont recall.

Yeah, that’s exactly my problem: the rest of the planet is just gone somehow, but the middle of the US just happens to be perfectly untouched by whatever extinction level event happened?

That’s some American Exceptionalism bullshit if ever I’ve seen any:
“It doesn’t matter what happened to the rest of the entire world, we’re still here!”

O_o

IMO, it matters very fucking much what happened to everyone else… especially if you happen to be one of ‘everyone else.’

I’m not; not only for the reason stated above, but because I hate lazy-ass writing.

The comparison to Mad Max is untenable because as you yourself stated, Mad Max’s narrative actually holds up to close scrutiny - we may not know the exact deets, but we do know that toxic patriarchy killed the world, via nuclear fallout. Aside from Joe’s warboys and many other people suffering from what looks like radiation poisoning in Fury Road, there were brief flashbacks in MM Beyond Thunderdome of a mushroom cloud.

In that fandom, “Who Killed the World” is a rhetorical question; because the audience actually knows all too well ‘whodunit.’

6 Likes