4 teachers die of Covid-19 within 24 hours of each other in Broward County, FL

There’s plenty of greed and malice and intolerance and an inability to adapt to a changing world this time, too.

9 Likes

Get the jab - wear a mask - socially distance - minimize contacts … these are not impossible things to do. Frankly - if we have to cull from the heard the weak minded… well so be it. My frustration sits in the fact these lemmings will drag down the innocent as they run off the cliff.

5 Likes

Hey Florida – here’s your big box of freedom

21 Likes

Insult to injury? if the district (staff, students, teachers) hit 3% (~25 people…not a large school), THEN they will mandate masks. My problem lies in 25 known infected means another % of asymptomatic…and in any case, by the time they say “we hit that level” then we are two weeks or so from likely hitting numbers WAY above that level because of the slow incubation cycle prior to symptoms.

11 Likes

With more and more of the people who keep refusing vaccination for no good reason starting to die of COVID, I was uneasy at my impulse to not be sympathetic to them. John Scalzi’s recent blog post helped me put my feelings into perspective.

How Bad Should We Feel When the Willfully Unvaccinated Die? | Whatever (scalzi.com)

15 Likes

And for the latest version of “State Government is Trying to Kill Us,” the TABC threatened to revoke the liquor license of two restaurants that were requiring proof of vaccination from customers.

Come to Texas, where we won’t protect you, and we won’t allow anyone ELSE to, either.

10 Likes

Herd immunity is almost impossible with Delta. It spreads so fast and so virulently that sooner or later everyone will come into contact with it. Those being ‘culled’ will include both the ‘weak minded’ and the sensible. Vaccination may reduce your chances of getting it seriously (if you get it, chances are you’ll get it more mildly) but there are many people who cannot get vaccinated or who may not form antibodies if they are vaccinated (e.g. the immunosuppressed). Should they be ‘culled’ too?

Whilst I have every sympathy with not having any sympathy for the fuckwits who will not wear masks or get a jab, it is highly dangerous to think that only the fuckwitted get deservingly ‘culled’.

8 Likes

That’s a good read. Thanks.

3 Likes

You’re a big softy.

2 Likes

The collateral damage from STUPID has always been high, we are now seeing it in its prime.

3 Likes

… Can I panic now? You know, full on flailing arms screaming and running around in circles panicing?

3 Likes

Liked for sharing Scalzi.

6 Likes

And remember to make it an N95 if you live in areas with a lot of death cultists. Cloth and surgical masks don’t help if nobody else is wearing them.

7 Likes

That’s stupid but not surprised. Also Launderette is a really good restaurant, highly recommended

1 Like

The gentleman now goes by: Deathsantis or Darth Santis.

5 Likes

4 teachers die of Covid-19

Way to express your personal freedom.

1 Like

The only “good” news i can share about delta variant is that the incubation period is shorter - 3.6ish days instead of 6ish days. And people are contagious earlier, too. Not that it’s really good news, but it is better than a more contagious longer incubation period. sorta mostly.

2 Likes

I’ve been having a facebook discussion with a relative who is a nurse. Our governor has mandated that all staff of medical facilities that are licensed by the state must be vaccinated by October 1st. My relative argues that government should not be involved in health care decisions. She is vaxxed, but she has work friends who are not, and those friends are threatening to quit if the mandate is not overturned.

I think that the Delta Variant is a clear and present danger, and that unvaxxed med staff pose too much of a risk to themselves and everyone else. Yes, understaffed facilities are dangerous, but so are unvaxxed med professionals!

I’m just so tired of the misinformed demanding things that endanger everyone. The antivax media has much to answer for.

13 Likes

Like any statistical argument, this applies very well to large populations, but does not help the minority who have done everything right and will still die horribly due to no fault of their own. Vaccination is 99.8% effective at keeping you out of the hospitals. That is excellent, 167 million doses given so far, only about 334,000 of them will wind up hospitalized. If the healthcare system collapses, how many of those will become mortality statistics? We don’t know. “Culling the herd” was never a viable alternative, and still isn’t.

15 Likes

Fixed.