40 of the world's weirdest flowers

[Permalink]

#13 This flower only grows in the wild, in Australia, and has never been propagated.

Its wee brother Caleana minor grows (sometimes) in New Zealand.
http://www.nzpcn.org.nz/flora_details.aspx?ID=716

I’m surprised Cephalotus follicularis, found in western Australia, didn’t make the list. It’s a freakishly lovable little plant. I’ve put a picture from Dr. Barry Myers-Rice’s Galleria Carnivora below.

It’s not surprising to me that no species of Genlisea made the list since their corkscrew traps are hidden under the soil, but I mention them because I think they’re very beautiful little plants.

I don’t know who calls Salep Turkish Delight, especially since Turkish Delight is a well known confection.

causing some to argue that the Corpse Flower isn’t a flower at all—rather a fungus.

Lead me to these deluded fools so that I may unleash the righteous power of botanical taxonomy upon their asses.

Cephalotus is just as lovable as SpunkyTWS says. Why is there no plushy version?!

You may not have seen I. psittacina, but I. niamniamensis is also known as ‘parrot flower’, has a similar flower, and is very common in cultivation.

I swear that somewhere I’ve seen a plushy cephalotus toy, along with plushy venus flytraps, but I can’t for the life of me figure out where.

It looks like a muppet.

I’ve always thought so too. Of all the carnivorous plants I used to grow it was the one that most looked to me like it belonged in Little Shop of Horrors. The pitchers looked like they were singing. I was tempted to put little tiny eyes on the lids.

On the other hand there’s the succulent Faucaria tigrina that looks like it could take your damn finger off.

EVERYTHING is better with googly eyes.

Nature is disgusting. Get me to the mall, now.

This was a good unicorn chaser for those of us still staring out at last week’s snow, and now being serenaded by the gentle pitter patter of ice pellets on the skylights.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.