Close up video shows how Venus flytraps work

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/01/close-up-video-shows-how-venus.html

4 Likes

So not his excellent clothing style and way with words then…

2 Likes

Our Venus Fly Trap is named Mr. Toad.

2 Likes

“I’ll give you fifty bucks right now if you turn into a venus fly trap” is my new favorite Nick Fury quote.

2 Likes

https://www.kew.org/kew-gardens/whats-in-the-gardens/carnivorous-plants

once upon a time I asked kew what was to know about that venus
it’s illegal to own one in the uk

1 Like

I think the foley artist here got a little carried away, but I must say I did enjoy the sound of the venus flytrap clanking shut like a cell door.

3 Likes

something something MY EX-WIFE.

Yeah, the tortured screams of the doomed flies were a bit over the top… but AWESOME

1 Like

Triffid

Ohhhh yeah, BB. Nice. Just like I like it.

3 Likes

Are you sure that it is illegal in the UK, both the plants and seeds are widely available here?

1 Like

I got this summery in an email three years ago… :slight_smile:

It is classified as Vulnerable by the IUCN. It is specified CITES appendix II - Therefore all except the following are restricted for import. See below -

All parts and derivatives, except:
a) seeds (including seedpods of Orchidaceae), spores and pollen (including pollinia). The exemption does not apply to seeds from Cactaceae spp. exported from Mexico, and to seeds from
Beccariophoenixmadagascariensis and Neodypsis decaryi exported from Madagascar;
b) seedling or tissue cultures obtained
in vitro , in solid or liquid media, transported in sterile containers;
c) cut flowers of artificially propagated plants;
d) fruits, and parts and derivatives thereof, of naturalized or artificially propagated plants of the genus
Vanilla (Orchidaceae) and of the family Cactaceae;
e) stems, flowers, and parts and derivatives thereof, of naturalized or artificially propagated plants of the genera
Opuntia subgenus Opuntia and Selenicereus (Cactaceae); and
f) finished products of
Euphorbia antisyphilitica packaged and ready for retail trade

however it is followed by…

If purchased from a reputable nursery and is a known variety, these have (usually) been cultivated since before CITES and are okay to buy in the UK

1 Like

I’ve never seen a closeup of a fly eating, with its little proboscis nosing around before. :nauseated_face:

If you post a gif of Jeff Goldblum eating, well, shame on you.

2 Likes

I think my favourite part (of the entirely awesome soundtrack) was the muted suggestion of a belch at 2:34 in :grin:

1 Like

The sound design/foley crew had a real good time with that video.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.