Two people charged with stealing 600 Venus flytraps

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/05/two-people-charged-with-stealing-600-venus-flytraps.html

5 Likes

Venus flytraps are the most popular carnivorous plants but they’re not that easy to grow. They need a lot of light, the right kind of soil, and extremely pure water. And too many beginners think it’s cute to feed them raw hamburger. Still it is possible to grow them and even propagate them, and a lot of nurseries do—even offering different varieties.

If these two jokers had to resort to stealing plants from the wild they’d be lucky if a quarter of them survived long enough to be resold, and I can’t even guess where they’d go to sell them.

13 Likes

1_6J20zHsnWXfSQ_PexyIsfQ

12 Likes

Huh, I didn’t know they were a flowering plant.

Neat!

11 Likes

If they’re illegally stealing them, one might come to think that there’s a (small?) market for a commercial greenhouse propagation business…? If for naught else to leave the indigenous plants alone. (and hell, one could become obsessed with breeding them larger and larger… and then you’d have to practice your ‘bwahahahah’. ok, might want to skip that bit when you go for the bank loan)

5 Likes

Reminder that Venus flytraps are an endangered species and poaching is a big problem that threatens their numbers. They are notoriously difficult to care for and don’t make very good houseplants. They are really cool, but they should by left in their natural habitat.

13 Likes

You know, when they cross-breed this with the triffid…we’re in big trouble.

4 Likes

5 Likes

I don’t think the market for them is small since every spring the big box hardware stores have boxes and boxes of “bug eating plants”, usually in the garden section, while other places have them right by the checkout. Most of them are tissue-cultured, though, and greenhouse-grown.

Considering how little they sell for, though, I can’t imagine the effort needed to steal six-hundred plants being anything close to profitable even if they all survived. This display is from a store less than two miles from where I live:

venusflytraps-1

4 Likes

Steve Martin GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

Damn, I’m sure I’ve read/watched/listened to some piece of fiction where one of character was a collector of venus flytraps, but I can’t remember what it was.

4 Likes

Curse those fools for getting caught! My glorious plan to rule the tri-state area has been foiled again!

2 Likes

I grew up with the original being shown on local matinee movie shows and creature features on Saturday and Sunday afternoons.

It’s my favorite version.

3 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.