41 tourists who stole sand from Sardinian beaches were fined up to $3,600 each

Originally published at: 41 tourists who stole sand from Sardinian beaches were fined up to $3,600 each | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Now that’s what I call “sand blasted”.

6 Likes

For years, the fabulously beautiful planet of Bethselamin increased its booming tourist industry without any worries at all. Alas, as is often the case, this was an act of utter stupidity, as it led to a colossal cumulative erosion problem. Of course, what else could one expect with ten billion tourists per annum? Thus today the net balance between the amount you eat and the amount you excrete while on the planet is surgically removed from your body weight when you leave; so every time you go to the lavatory there, it is vitally important to get a receipt.
–Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

18 Likes

Sand is a serious business.

7 Likes

Someone here was nice enough to send me volcanic sand and a few rocks from Tenerife. Hopefully that was ok, but it was a literally handful of stuff.

7 Likes

With liquids limited to ounces it’s hard to argue that 5 pounds of anything is a personal supply.

But somehow I doubt the all sand confiscated made its way back to the beach.

It very probably was! Some of those sands are rather unique, at least in the Med, and some of the most famous beaches were literally disappearing not only because of erosion, but also due to “sand-grabbing”.

Still a problem, but it is hoped that visitors are beginning to understand the importance of discretion.

5 Likes

It’s remarkable what one collects in their speedos!

3 Likes

Wait, I’ve got an idea about how we can get more sand/cause desertification!

First we import tons and tons of sandtrout

Yup. Easily identified by an expert:

1 Like

Reminds me of the actual theft of an entire beach. This apparently happens more often than I thought. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/oct/21/jamaica

If we need more high quality sand, we could always grind down the stones of the great Pyramids. I mean, it’s not like anybody is using them for anything at the moment. Seems like a waste.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.