5 bizarre board games

The art for the Fess Parker board game is truly crazy. Nothing like TV’s Davy Crockett cheerfully beating the shit out of Indians for family game night!

2 Likes

Easy to mock, specially thru the lens of current “enlightened” sensibilities. Toys and games merely reflect the times they are from. What will people fifty years from now say about “Cards Against Humanity” or 'Exploding KIttens?"

Candyland came out right after WWII. It was many kid’s very first experience playing a board game with other people, and is suitably simplified and all ritual. (not really a game, as Mark as noted since you have no choices to make or strategy/tactics to consider).

But the littlest kid can learn a LOT about playing with others, taking turns, following the rules, playing fairly, being patient, being “lucky” and “unlucky,” and accepting the final outcome, win or lose. All great things for little kids (and some adults you know) to learn first. Chess comes later.

And there is a passionate following for all these old games from one’s own childhood. You’ve heard of Bronies.

Could this be a"CandyLad?"

1 Like

why do so many of those games use spinners? Why not dice? Even non regulation dice will do.

No shitting: Spinners were developed at a time when dice were seen as gambling equipment.

The fact that they allowed other outcomes than an integer 1-6 soon dawned on designers.

2 Likes

Not really a board game, but my family pulls this out of the game closet during holidays:

1 Like

No one has mentioned Uncle Wiggly yet? Always found it delightfully surreal.

For many years I’ve been looking for a copy of the board game bolo’ bolo: Eine Welt ohne Geld. It was a companion to the Post-Industrial futurist book bolo’bolo by P.M. (Hans Widmer) and had a very beautifully designed game board, but it never made it to the US.

Years ago I was backpacking in Nepal and I took a break near a small village. I noticed some kids playing a game and was surprised to see them playing Crokinole (again not its cousin Carom). I asked them where they learned it and I figured out through bits and pieces that some Canadian aid workers had taught them how to play and make the boards! Those kids could give the guys in Tavistock a run for their money.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.