5 dead and 5 police officers shot in Illinois mass shooting; gunman also dead

Was there a mention of race
in the article
or in a link
I didn’t see?

Canada literally has that

From https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states :

There is a threat of terrorism. Terrorist attacks could occur at any time and targets could include:

• government buildings, including schools
  • places of worship
  • airports and other transportation hubs and networks
  • public areas such as tourist attractions, restaurants, bars, coffee shops, shopping centres, markets, hotels and other sites frequented by foreigners
15 Likes

Oh geeze, I was being
(somewhat) sarcastic!
But hey, if the shoe fits
and so on…

6 Likes

Needs to help NRA win.

12 Likes

No, but the assumption is that he is not a person of color because he was captured rather than killed.

(I’m going to go back and look at the gushing waterfall now…)

3 Likes

“thoughts and praye—”

25 Likes

It is a “whitish” part of town. But the town is quite diverse. And also fwiw, it sure sounds like they shot the guy. Just maybe not a bunch of times.

2 Likes

Sounds like there is a national emergency right now. If only something could be done about it.

6 Likes

He’s too busy thinking and praying.

3 Likes

Sounds like only one death so far, so does this still count as a mass shooting? I’m asking because I don’t know.

I work in a fairly large facility, with at least a couple hundred employees. You know you can’t really function when you’re always in “what if” mode, so if a shooting were to happen at my work I would be in no way prepared.
We do have an active shooter codeword. But during a busy time like in the morning or lunch, a person so motivated could easily cause A LOT of damage.

Ugh.

1 Like
2 Likes

So he’s white then?

2 Likes

Yeah, back when I used to work in the office (400+ employees), we had mandatory “active shooter” CE.

Between when I used to ride my bike through a pretty sketch part of town (saw handguns brandished on more than one occasion), and working with a bunch of “interesting” personalities in the office, I’ve got a level 4 backpack plate. I’ll admit that that’s probably a bit paranoid, but man, it just happens way too often here in the states.

2 Likes

Pretty sure it still counts as a mass shooting whether or not many people end up dying from their gunshot wounds. Sad metric that’s developed there though.

4 Likes

It’s a mass shooting, not necessarily a mass killing. Definitions for mass vary, but I think it’s converging on 4 or more shot. So yes, it is a mass shooting. It doesn’t matter if anyone dies or not… I feel dirty typing that last sentence

9 Likes

Context, my friend, I hear you!

Hey, it matters if anyone dies, it matters if anyone is simply injured, and I daresay it matters if guns go off and miss completely! I don’t want to be anywhere near that shit.

1 Like

I would not bet on it. APD for the last 10 years has been training their officers on deescalation, unconscious bias, community outreach, conflict resolution, etc. And it has been working–0 shooting deaths (murders period) in 2012. Pretty amazing for a city of 200k and a big gang presence.

It is not perfect (see officer shooting from Dec.) but it is not the militaristic, racist organization you would imagine.

11 Likes

ZIP! Whoosh!
That’s the sound of my hand
::::::::::::::::::
flying Over My Head!

ETA: the waterfall does nothing
for me… whatever floats your boat! Haha

um… Yes, yes he did.

5 Likes

Just sent to me by another local:

https://www.kendallcountynow.com/2019/02/15/update-one-confirmed-dead-possibly-four-more-in-aurora-plant-shooting/a2wdg07/?utm_medium=FacebookLedger&utm_source=Facebook

Clayton Muhammad, director of communications for the City of Aurora, announced at 3:15 p.m. the shooter had been “neutralized” by police inside the plant.

A Henry Pratt employee reached by Shaw Media inside the plant said she believed the shooter was an employee at the plant who had been laid off Friday morning.

The employee said the shooter, after being given his layoff notice, went out to his car, got a gun and then came back inside and started shooting

6 Likes