5 dead, many injured in mass shooting at Annapolis newsroom (Updated)

True. Which is still smoke, just from a different (though possi-probably related) fire.

8 Likes

Yeah, but jumping to conclusions doesn’t really help anything. It’s possible it’s a Pizza Gate type thing. It could also be a Sports writer was sleeping with his wife, or aliens were talking to him, or retaliation for a story that ruined his business, or he is a racist mad at a black editor.

Others did the same thing like the Orlando night club shooter - surely this was an ISIS backed terrorist attack, similar to the once in France. - when the reality turned out to be a something totally different and even more sad.

I understand wanting to make sense of something and assign blame. And certainly comments like Milo’s can conjure up some strong dots to connect. But as deplorable as Milo is, I honestly think letting our imaginations run wild with accusations leads to more bad things in the long run. YMMV.

9 Likes

OK Roger that.

Apologies if I have caused offense. That, sincerely was not my intention and acknowledge, with reflection that my post was provocative and I misjudged the mood of the community on such as sensitive issue at such a sensitive time.

4 Likes
18 Likes

ETA: this is the first name I have seen of the victims (for obvious reasons). We should make sure they’re remembered.

14 Likes

Further updates

The suspect:

His grudge is based on this failed defamation suit against the paper:

The 2011 story that prompted the lawsuit was about Ramos pleading guilty to harassing/cyberstalking a female classmate from high school over the course of a year:

Sounds to me like the kind of entitled creep (I smell incel) who’d be active in the alt-right “manosphere”, a cesspool that pays a lot of attention to journalist haters like Il Douche* and Milo. I’m sure his browser history and social media posts will allow for some interesting connecting of the dots.

[* here he is defending Dolt-45 as a potential deliverer of “justice” in the context of his grudge back in 2015:

https://twitter.com/EricHartleyFrnd/status/644292223547404288?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

]

19 Likes

If anyone wants to know the weird thing poorly photoshopped onto the people of his many accounts, it’s the mark of the sacrifice from Berserk.

I’m not sure who all is pictured, but some of the obvious ones are in the MD judicial system. He has a post somewhere where he paints himself as the main antogaonist of the series, who was beaten down by an unjust system and got revenge through slaughter.

7 Likes

Thanks, I was wondering what that was all about. Anime may provide another link to the alt-right:

I believe the person in the main avatar is Eric Hartley, the reporter who wrote the 2011 story that kicked off the grudge.

7 Likes

29 Likes
24 Likes

I’m gonna go with,Yes.

1 Like

That’s not the right person, is it?

3 Likes

That sounds like he was clumsily trying to neg the lady on Facebook. It’s possible he’s one of those red pill assholes.

2 Likes
7 Likes

Perhaps Maryland will arrest (/extradite?) that Yiannopolous turd, though Anne Arundel county apparently has a Republican state’s attorney so perhaps not. It’d be nice though.

Because, you know, isn’t this supposed to be a solved problem? Isn’t the whole entire point of civilisation that when your children see evil on the news, you can say “hush my wee ones, the police will catch the bad man and the judge will punish him”, and more or less mean it?

It might take a while to figure out how to adapt our consensus of justice to this new connected world – it’s important to get the details right – but of course it’s going to happen. We’re not going to just lie back while this shit continues for a thousand years. So let’s all of us, as individuals, get started already. (In this case the individuals in question would be MD prosecutors who might be tempted to wring their hands over charging Yiannopolous).

2 Likes

That has never been true from the perspective of the underclass.

Or if you prefer something old-school:

12 Likes

It’s the reporter he has a grudge against. Put a death mark on his forehead and used it as the account’s avatar. Crazy people gonna crazy.

7 Likes

Worked at several papers like this in a previous life. There is always one crazy mofo out there who’s got an ax to grind and is just batshit enough to do something horrific like this.

Ran into one myself once, reported on his crazy, slept with a shotgun under the bed for a few nights. Local reporters do damn good work. It’s thankless, scary as hell sometimes. Subscribe to your local paper folks.

9 Likes

A good piece by Charles Pierce this morning:

Anyone who’s worked at a media outlet knows that there are always two or three scary regular cranks who constantly call in or write to air their grievances about the coverage or reporters or anchors, their communications reeking of barely suppressed violence. Politics, usually right-wing objections to the “liberal media”, would come into it but it was clear that a critical screw had gone missing in their heads. When they would escalate (e.g. showing up outside the studio) everyone from the (openly liberal) anchor to the fresh-out-of-college Ayn Rand reading copy clerk was on edge.

My own experience in the newsroom also confirms Charlie’s contention that “misogyny is the one thing that’s part of too many of these stories” – one of our cranks would send used condoms in abusive letters directed at female reporters (who were spared seeing them) and another would call in to let us express his displeasure that our “b*tch” anchor had changed her hairstyle.

Combine that with wide availability of firearms and it’s understandable why so many press outlets have security guards. Add in a “president” who portrays journalists as enemies of the people and his trolling alt-right supporters who “joke” about following that thought out to its logical conclusion and we’ll only see more misogynist right-wing nuts trying to put their weapons to use in newsrooms.

15 Likes

oh, really? I dont think so. makes us as hypocrite as the far-right when they call in the minute it happened that every shooting must be from an islamic-terror-attack.

and besides, seems as SmokyBarnable was completly right:

it seems apparent Ramos had long nursed a grudge against the newspaper following a 2012 lawsuit he’d filed and lost over a story it published.

oh? and what are the the executive director of the Committee to Protect Journalists had to say about this?

“Obviously, we’ve expressed our dismay at these comments that President Trump has made, and we’re obviously horrified by what happened today. At this point, knowning what we know, I don’t think it’s wise to make any connection,” Simon, the executive director of the Committee to Protect Journalists, said.

not wise, quori, not at all.