$50 gadget reduces washing machine vibration

I have a buddy that made it big and his cleaning company had him put a couple Speed Queen washers and dryers in his place. I do like front loading but the quality for the surprisingly affordable price on the Speed Queen seems hard to beat.

Or you could get the same benefit for free with a couple of cut-up mouse pads.

1 Like

The WTC towers in New York had dampers. I’ve always thought one of the reasons the towers collapsed was because the dampers were damaged by the shock from the planes hitting, and could no longer work. Because of that, the winds pushing on the top levels were not counteracted. That sideways force acted on girders that were softened (NOT ‘melted’) by the fires, and that’s why they eventually snapped.

Give it a real test!

8 Likes

Probably a feature that doesn’t spec-sheet/showroom well.

Unless the build quality is utter rubbish a washing machine installed on a flat surface and not dealing with an unbalanced load doesn’t vibrate much. Even if it’s close to utter rubbish it won’t vibrate much at first under those conditions.

A feature like this would be quite handy for more gracefully coping with suboptimal conditions, of installation, loading, or both; but the buyer doesn’t see that until after the purchase is made and the device is taken home and installed; while the sticker price is visible up-front.

1 Like
5 Likes

Top loading machines need not apply…

1 Like

All front-loaders have another design flaw. They get moldy as fuck. Top-loaders get moldy too, but not as quickly and they’re easier to scrub out when they do.

Uhm, guessing you haven’t seen the one with the wash cycle and the dildo. Er, maybe only us gay boys are familiar with that Ralph Woods video.

Holy shit indeed. Washing machine (or drier, or whatever it is) as The Terminator.

The more superstitious among consumer white goods believe in the ‘karmic ultracentrifuge’, an extremely powerful, though ultimately self-sacrificing, agent of moral, and centripetal, order that will ultimately sacrifice its own structural integrity to shred those who act against balance and bring an end to the perturbations of history.

They don’t need to. The plastic drum machines (like Maytag Neptune) can get mold on the drum, but stainless-drum machines (any good one) will mainly be susceptible at the rubber door seal, and that can be fixed by wiping/airing the seal dry or getting a machine with a rubber-seal-free door mechanism (like the Askos used to be – I haven’t seen the new ones). It also helps to do regular boil washes using the built-in heater.

1 Like

Exactly. That’s been the complaint of most owners of them I’ve known. I haven’t seen plastic drums. Do you mean enamel?

I didn’t know such existed. Interesting. We’re pretty happy with a stainless drum top-loader though.

The inner (visible) drum is usually metal, but there is usually (always?) an outer drum as well, and on many machines the other drum is made of plastic (to save weight and cost).

1 Like

Mats made out of recycled rubber granules.
Under washing machines they also damp the noise quite a bit.
They also work great under other machinery, fitness equipment, speakers… anything moving/vibrating you want to insulate/cushion somewhat.
Easily cut to size. Available in any well-stocked DIY emporium.

2 Likes

Expensive, but you only ever need to buy one. Sam Vimes, boots, etc.

1 Like

I’m on my second one.
But then again, I buy them second hand…

there’s this item in the telegraph about student idea to replace the concrete block with a water solution… I couldn’t do the math

then there’s the dyson double drum

https://www.dyson.co.uk/support/journey/guides/50423-01.html

Yeah my parents have a front loader and my mom’s been very careful about making sure to wipe it down, leaving it open to properly air dry, etc and it inevitably became stained with mold. She even had a tech come and change it when he was repairing something else on the machine and that replacement got moldy pretty quickly.

I have a top loader and so far haven’t had issues with mold

1 Like

I’m on my second one. and I buy them new!