50 years ago The Beatles played on a roof

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/30/50-years-ago-the-beatles-playe.html

1 Like

Referenced (obviously so) heavily in the Across The Universe movie

1 Like

Probably their best performance.

I was under impression that it was in savile row but I might well be wrong ding dong

1 Like

I wonder why the recordings sound so clean. No traffic? No pigeons?

1 Like

They’re singing across time and space directly into your ears for your listening pleasure.

7 Likes

Love this! Plus, Billy Preston.

1 Like

They gave it a shot but sometimes these things just don’t pan out.

1 Like

Weekday at lunchtime and not the busiest street, traffic-wise. A few stories above the street with all the mics and amps plugged directly into the console.

1 Like

Too bad you cannot get the movie. Or at least last time I tried you could not get it. Paul did not like how it made them look arguing in the studio.

And the thumb nail looks like Graham Chapman

EDIT: The movie is Let It Be

1 Like

Well, someone has to…

7 Likes
1 Like

And that’s how the Beatles were arrested and never heard of again.

3 Likes

I had a bootleg of it as a teenager, sold it long ago. Surprised you really can’t get it. I bet you can torrent it.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s out there. I have a bootlegged digital copy on a hard drive somewhere alongside a copy of “Cocksucker Blues”. Man, if people saw that film in the #metoo era… whew.

Someone earlier in the day had gone out and bought some tights so they could cut them up and put them over the microphones.

1 Like

My, how time flies.

Peter Jackson has 55 hours of video not used in the movie and he’s going to make a new documentary with it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.