500 doses of COVID vaccine intentionally destroyed by health worker in Wisconsin

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/31/500-doses-of-covid-vaccine-intentionally-destroyed-by-health-worker-in-wisconsin.html

4 Likes

ouran-HS-host-club-haruhi-mad

15 Likes

I’m gonna guess the motivating factor for that healthcare worker starts with Q.

23 Likes

I do hope they will never again be employed in any job even remotely connected to health care.

21 Likes

Unfortunately they’re probably white, so we can’t charge them with terrorism.

19 Likes

Considering it’s the moderna vaccine with the big feature being it doesn’t need cryogenic storage like the Pfizer vaccine, could it be there was limited space in the fridge and the healthcare worker intentionally left the vaccine out thinking it’d survive, in order to keep something else in the fridge?

I know this is very speculative but “intentionally left out of the fridge” could mean a lot of things, not all of which were necessarily malicious, so much as terrible judgement or carelessness.

I certainly hope for the worker’s sake that’s what happened.

3 Likes

13 Likes

The worker removed it to make room for his lunch. His peanut butter and liverwurst sandwich was more important than 500 people’s vaccines.

4 Likes

I was thinking more like, they might have had some sample that needed to be refrigerated and sent off to a lab or something.

Incidentally I knew a guy in college who worked in one of the bio labs always kept his energy drinks in a sample fridge. It never seemed to bother him about keeping food literally right next to stuff like botulinum culture plates, and pieces of tumors.

5 Likes

I think you’re reaching for Hanlon’s Razor here, and while the sentiment is understood, do you really think it’d be good for that sort of mistake to be allowed or lightly forgiven in a medical facility?

6 Likes

I don’t think so. The press release states otherwise:

7 Likes

Yeah, I guess that wording excluding inadvertent human error is generally pretty clear.

Apropos of nothing, I’ve had my employment terminated with the official justification that I “made threats of gun violence” when someone in the office overheard me talking a user through opening up the task manager to “kill a process, and then load sysinfo and a shoot a screenshot of it”

So, I would never put it past an institution to make up stuff or twist someone’s words in order to get rid of someone.

10 Likes

That is so very true. They are for profit after all.

(Fucking Trump. It’s so frustrating that everything related to this virus makes us think about ulterior motives. :rage:)

4 Likes

I’d be more worried about the botulinum culture plates and pieces of tumors and their proximity to the energy drink.

11 Likes

Definitely deliberate.

In a statement, police officials said the now-fired pharmacist was arrested on recommended charges of first-degree recklessly endangering safety, adulterating a prescription drug and criminal damage to property.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/31/952536531/pharmacist-arrested-accused-of-destroying-more-than-500-moderna-vaccine-doses

10 Likes

My initial reaction was an unworthy "I hope they hang him by the gazengas. On sober reflection I have to add “head down over a slow fire.”

5 Likes

He was going to put the vax’s back in and intermingle them too, if I read the press releases correctly. He intended for it to be given to unsuspecting people. I suspect they’re going to get him on federal charges too. There’s an argument to be made for severe terrorist level offenses here. This guy could be getting a life sentence off this.

11 Likes

Oh fuck that’s pretty much terrorism, yeah.

7 Likes

Not to go into 2021 like this, but we all know how this goes… Guy who intentionally destroyed 500 doses of covid vaccine unintentionally dies of covid…
They need to rework the definition of a terrorist

3 Likes

Or pre-emptively pardoned by Trump on his last day

2 Likes