6-foot-nearly-9-inch tall model holds the title for world's longest legs

Please! Please! Please!

2 Likes

For what I’ve read, he is the Keanu of comics; someone who might not be the best (cough cough) at what he does, but aware of his limitations and good to work with.

3 Likes

Obviously, but my point to the OP was that if a private in the US Army can manage SI, so can he.

2 Likes

When Alan Davis was drawing Captain Britain and they buried Merlin, and Captain Britains turned up from all across the multiverse, and everyone one of them looked different, and cool, and wonderfully realised… Amazing!

in several of my Shadow comics

@Mister44, you have Shadow comics that aren’t drawn by Kyle Baker? Perish the thought.

3 Likes

The use of colour and shape in the example you show suggests 17th century Baroque influences. In fact, for some reason it made me think of Poussin, specifically

Edit - now I look more into it, it’s his use of skies, and skin tone that reflects those skies.

1 Like

justice League The Nail 1/2. Every page is so beautiful.

And when Davis was doing Excalibur his war wolves were just amazing. How he illustrated them going in and out of the skins was just creepy and cool and looked real!

1 Like

I love Kyle Baker for making something go from realistic to cartoony and back on the same page and making it work.

1 Like

Ummm… aren’t roadway speed limits posted in miles/hour in the UK (or Britain/England or whatever is the appropriate geopolitical term)?

I think imperial, with all the fractions, is good enough when great accuracy is not required, e.g., lumber measurements, which aren’t even what they say they are (2x4 is something like 1.75"x3.5"). But like analog clock faces, much easier to read at a glance.

As a Canadian of a certain age (I was in grade 5 or so when we switched; do the math if you care), I’m still comfortable in both. Fully converted to Celsius, because it’s something you “feel” directly. Fluent in feet/inch, but really enjoy when I got to work in a fully metric shop. Which oddly occurred more often in the US than in Canada.

The sheer quantity of existing machinery and measuring tools out there ensures we’ll (Canada) be stuck in a mixed system for quite a while longer.

1 Like

Right on. Metric is dead simple to work with, since much of the math is simply factors of 10.

The difficulty comes when faced with the large installed base of machinery & measuring equipment built in imperial. Many shops have older imperial equipment; than have a mixture of imperial & metric (a sure recipe for disaster), they’ll actually switch newer metric machines to imperial. On modern CNC machinery, this actually reduces the accuracy.

And it’s not just as simple as replacing all the dials, handwheels, and readouts to metric. Imperial machines are made with imperial parts; the ballscrew or leadscrew that handwheel turns is machined to be 0.1" per revolution; swapping the graduations on the dial to metric but leaving the 0.1"/rev leadscrew in place messes things up.

It’s not just all the old fogeys not wanting to switch. There’s a massive amount of machinery & tools to be replaced. Heck, I’ve been in shops where the main castings of a machine are from 1910. New ways, new motors, sometimes even a modern CNC controlling it, but the original iron is still good.

3 Likes

Poor person. Must have a terrible life. Folding into beds, chairs (especially in airlines, trains, and lecture halls), never having a cosy blanket you can snuggle into completely. Never finding a bike that fits. Also, there are plenty of shops selling clothes for fat people, especially men - but finding a pair of jeans for tall women is a nightmare. And the shoes! Plus, she gets all the stares. Right now, that might be ok, she’ll get all the adolescent admiration. But a couple of years ago, and in a couple of years, this isn’t fun at all…

Only piece of consolation might be that she’ll always have a Randy Newman song to console herself.

3 Likes

How will this console her?

5 Likes

I am touched. Touché, on peut dire.

2 Likes

I work with a former Heavy Weight Intercontinental Boxing Champion, and, while he is physically extremely impressive, he always looks like he is visiting his old junior school when sitting at a desk. Cars must be a nightmare for him. Then I’ve noticed that even school kids, who are growing freakishly tall these days, are struggling with the seating on buses. It makes me kind of glad that I’m only 5’ 8"ish.

2 Likes

I’ve got friends who are taller than average (and greater than average, too :blush:). And my partner and I invested a shitload of money (for our budget, anyways) in a 2.20 m bed with 2.20m sheets. Worth every penny.

When I’m alone, I feel like a child in that bed, myself.

1 Like

She may well earn enough to take care of those problems with custom made stuff. I live in quite a small town, but there’s any number of dressmakers who could deal with clothes problems, and finding bespoke shoe, bicycle and furniture makers isn’t hard.
Being poor and very tall, now, different matter.

2 Likes

I have his complete run. Really enjoyed most of it, though the story went off the rails towards the end.

The first American Ace of WII signed up and few with Canada before the US joined the war. So he was in Spitfires. When the US joined and he transferred to an American unit to fly Mustangs, he took his Spitfire sight, as it was easier to calculate lead with the meters.

3 Likes

Are you seriously telling me that American ballscrews never wear out and need replacing, and that a switch to SI would be difficult?

(Very conveniently and accurately enough, Diesel and steam engine indicators usually had springs that were calibrated to 1kg/mm, which was also 360lb/inch. Obviously you can’t do that with a ballscrew, but a conversion in the ratio 2.5:2.54 has little effect on manual setup. 2.5mm/rev with suitable readout isn’t very difficult. In fact, I have seen old machines in the UK which still retain Imperial screws but have simply been fitted with motors, shaft encoders and conversion software to provide simple CNC control and drive displays.)

1 Like

Did you mean “she may well earn enough now, for a short while, by exposing herself”?

ETA: I know you didn’t, but I’m honestly pitying her for the rest of her life but this Guinness book entry. No, even for that. It feels like the slightly modernised version of a freak show. More civilised, but still.

(And seriously, though: even if you have not to worry about every penny, custom made stuff, and even most regular stuff for tall people is overproportionally expensive, if you ask me. And often quite dreadful, too.)

(Post edited, as my sarcasm clearly got ahead of me. Sorry about that.)

I indicated what I did by commenting “FTFY”, as I have seen done in other posts on the board.

I can see why it this is upsetting.
Sorry about that.
Edited.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.