7.5 million Tofurky roasts have been sold, here's your chance to learn how they are made

Originally published at: 7.5 million Tofurky roasts have been sold, here's your chance to learn how they are made | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Nervous Rivers Cuomo GIF by Fall Out Boy

2 Likes

Can they fly?

5 Likes

Just cook something. Literally anything, it’ll be better than this. Trust me.

8 Likes

Given an appropriately scaled trebuchet, almost anything can fly.

10 Likes

I would rather have an honestly vegan entree than a fake meat one.

4 Likes

Of those 7.5 million I wonder how many were sold accidentally to people who didn’t carefully (or casually) inspect the labels

3 Likes

I was tickled to see that the music for the video was sourced from Getty Images; is nothing what it seems?

By the way, Vegetarian Haggis is great (and it reduces pressure on Wild Haggis stocks).

12 Likes

Off to watch it now. Oh the humanity! Happy T(of)urkey Day to those Happy Mutants who celebrate it.

7 Likes

As a longtime veg, and sucker for faux meats, I fully appreciate what they do.

Are there better options? Certainly. Will I turn one down if someone offers? Hell no! Non nom nom

I live nearby and sometimes the factory gives off a funk… not as bad as the cherry processing facilities upriver :face_vomiting:

10 Likes

In an alternate universe…“as God is my witness, I thought tofurkys could fly”.

5 Likes

Wkrp In Cincinnati Thanksgiving GIF

3 Likes

all-of

3 Likes

In this Thanksgiving day, I’m thankful that this option is available for those that want a non-meat turkey alternative to help them celebrate the day.

… and even more thankful that I won’t personally have to eat this instead of the delicious turkey that is currently brining in my refrigerator.

Thanksgiving Day Waiting GIF by JustViral

5 Likes

They are pretty good. They’re a very good sandwich “meat” also.

3 Likes

“You know what? Next year you can all go tofurkey yourselves.” - Maya Gallo, Just Shoot Me Thanksgiving episode

1 Like

… tastes great with gravy:

Signed,
a vegetarian since 1980
(still occasionally eating an egg, or cheese, or yogurt)

10 Likes

That squash looks delicious, might give it a go. Thanks

2 Likes

I make probably 4 of these every year. They’re not actually that difficult. It’s a seitan loaf with soup stock and sage flavouring cooked in a water bath.

wayyy cheaper too.

4 Likes

I’m sorta blown away that only 5 million tokurkeys have been sold. Especially when I was younger, it seemed like Friendsgiving always had one around. Nowadays, I see a lot more stuffed squash ala @j9c. I guess people live and learn.

When field roast came onto the scene, I pretty much stopped buying all other brands of fake meat. I tried the year-round tofurkey products but never again.

3 Likes