7-Eleven is lying to you about the Japanese Egg Salad sandwich coming to America

Ever since Morrissey shopped there.

13 Likes

Different chain, but it sums up the cult around japanese egg salad sandwiches

3 Likes

I dunno what’s in them but by far, the best egg salad sandwich I’ve ever had in my life was from a tiny little kiosk in the middle of a train platform in Osaka. Don’t knock 'em tell you’ve tried 'em.

omg…the bento boxes are incredible too!

8 Likes

Some Canadian corporation is trying to buy 7&i Holdings, the Japanese parent company of 7-11, in order to expand operations in North America. This news must have inspired the analysis of egg sandwiches

1 Like

Jinx, you owe me a Coke.

1 Like

Doing a little research the closest I’ve come is this article:

I can’t find any official announcement from US 7-Eleven indicating they’re doing anything different, and that article doesn’t include any actual statements from the company. As for the sandwiches, apparently the bread portion of the egg salad sandwiches now being sold is different from what it previously was… so closer in that one way to the Japanese version.

1 Like

ted 2 pictures GIF

8 Likes

He sells shirts with remnants and stains from the egg salad sandos he’s eaten?

2 Likes

Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

1 Like

Yeah, people are going nuts thinking the existing egg salad sandwich are the ones that are supposed “coming to America.” Can you believe it? People on the internet are jumping to conclusions!

1 Like

Not sure I would take sandwich advice from someone who calls them “sandos”, but if you want a proper egg sando, it must include cress.

2 Likes

I do enjoy an egg salad sandwich (especially if there are olives in there).

However, egg salad is the kind of food that if anyone said to me, “That’s disgusting, how can you eat that”, I would totally understand.

3 Likes

I can’t speak to the Quebec version but the “Mac’s Milk” branded stores in English speaking Ontario were always pretty sub-par. When they all switched to being Circle K’s they were uniformly renovated and it was a significant improvement. Fresh pastries and sandwiches you’d actually want to eat, a hot food section that’s pretty decent, and a coffee bar that’s both inexpensive and a step up from average gas station coffee.

He’s calling them that because that’s what they’re called in Japan.

Now? When hasn’t it been miserable? To wit…

7-11 isn’t a gas station. In many states, they do sell gas, but not everywhere. In New Jersey, none of the 7-11s sell gas. And I assume it’s because they’re too cheap to hire a couple more employees to pump the gas, since you can’t pump your own here.

4 Likes

In fairness, ‘sandoitchi’ is the full Japanese word for sandwich, but sando is what you’d more commonly see.

Though, like LEGO, you probably shouldn’t just add an ‘s’ to the end for the plural. But it might also be hitting the point of a borrowed word into English, so maybe the rule changes for that. One of these days, I really will do some linguistics courses.

4 Likes

Even in states where you can pump your own gas, it varies. There are two in the town where I live, one a gas station, one just a convenience store.

1 Like

Interestingly, most Japanese nouns don’t have plurals.

2 Likes
1 Like

My understanding is that loan words from languages that do not have a plural or that do not use an s to make plural nouns should not have an s tacked on unless the loan word has become so integrated into English that nobody would think to write it in italics or add a definition in parentheses.

Hence, we can have pizzas (instead of pizze), but we can’t have unagis (even though eels can be counted).

3 Likes

I can’t speak to the veracity of the linked video/article, but it definitely sounds like they’re describing what’s already on US store shelves. I’ve never met an American style egg salad sandwich that didn’t make me gag. If the actual Japanese style ones contain anything like the delicious, custardy, desserty tamago that you can find at most sushi joints, though, I’m in!