70 years of douchebag style

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/12/70-years-of-douchebag-style.html

4 Likes

#FyreLivesMatter

10 Likes

19 Likes

wrong…soul patches and mullets were not a 70s thing.

6 Likes
9 Likes

Needz moar Trilby.

10 Likes

No kidding, eh? The 70’s were all about bad haircuts and this mustache:

10 Likes

Don’t make me drop Sean Connery as Zed from Zardoz!

8 Likes

Oh no, allow me!

27 Likes

A bad thing you did. A very bad thing.

:wink:

16 Likes

Here are John Boorman’s comments on ‘Zardoz’. Interesting reading. (I liked the article writer’s name for Connery’s ‘codpiece’: “mankini/diaper”

https://filmschoolrejects.com/35-things-we-learned-from-john-boormans-zardoz-commentary-64664cde1780/

3 Likes

And who associates the Kenickie pompadour with the 60s, rather than, say, 1958?

Or even 1957?

10 Likes

Definitely 50’s; it’s called a ‘duck-ass’.

10 Likes

Yeah, you’d have to be living in Squaresville to pull off a ducktail by the mid 60s.

Though I am beginning to notice a Superman influence on Elvis in 1965.

4 Likes

None of these decade-by-decade “fashion” videos have been accurate. I suspect that’s why Mark keeps posting them…we keep coming back to tear 'em apart.

13 Likes

Is it because the Youngs really don’t know any better, or do they just enjoy trolling us Olds?

8 Likes

Sweeping cultural transitions going on in the mid 60s. Yes. Duck-ass was pretty much dead by then. Apart from the Beatle-style haircuts still then hanging around, there is – to my mind – little difference between what I see now (we are living in the anything goes, post-modern age, of course) and the range of men’s hair styles seen during the mid 60s (whether one was square or not). Example: I never thought that crew cuts would ever come back.

2 Likes

Mark:

7 Likes

These videos were due for a parody. Well done! ha ha

4 Likes

Possibly both, but the consistency of fail leans me more toward Youngs being too damned lazy to do proper research. Or even simple Google image searches.

{edt} You know how long it took me to find that Playgirl cover? About 3 seconds. Finding Mr. Connery took even less time. Maybe I’m being too hard on the Youngs, maybe they simply lack the cultural references us Oldz do and suck at googlefu.

6 Likes