8 year old girl crushes Korn's "Freak on a Leash"

Why? And why compare someone who is 8 to an adult? YOU may prefer the original, but that’s because it’s completely subjective.

Frankly, that feels a bit condescending. You may not have meant it that way, but given that she is doing a great job despite being 8, better than some adults would do, it’s rather dismissive.

9 Likes

Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 2.10.58 PM

5 Likes

Plenty of kids have shitty childhoods - abuse, bullying, misogyny, poverty, racism, homophobia, transphobia, islamophobia, anti-semitism, etc, etc, etc… of course, we have no idea if this young lady has faced any of that, but far more children than we like to admit actually do have to deal with trauma as children. It’s not fair or right, but it is the reality for billions of children.

Lets Go Reaction GIF

10 Likes

FYI, things are compared to other things, not against them. Your consistent phrasing like this makes you come off as rather combative.
Pedantic, I know, but word choices make impressions.

11 Likes

This is a good point and I will remember it in the future.

Having consulted a number of third parties on this matter, I am prepared to retract my previous statements in this conversation.

This girl really did crush her performance, and I 100% agree that she performed better than many adults would have. In comparing her performance to that of an adult’s I was being dismissive, despite that not being my intent.

It was 100% my mistake to bring it up and normally I wouldn’t. I’ll be more mindful in the future about assuming this type of thing about others.

8 Likes

Korn – Freak on a Leash Lyrics

Pretty good performance for an 8 year old, and who knows in 10 or 20 years maybe she ends up fronting a group like this:

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

5 Likes

I invite you to do better.

5 Likes

Those who can’t do, throw shade.

9 Likes

Nice. I did understand her vocals much better than the other guy who did that song, once upon a time, when I still was able to mosh in a moshpit…

Also, she’s intense.
Hope she has some support.
And I can’t comment on the band, but I didn’t hear something I could have criticized.

I have always felt that when covering someone else’s song, you should put your own take on it. (Two examples off the top of my head: “Hurt”, Nine Inch Nails, covered by Johnny Cash, and “Mad World”, Tears for Fears covered by Gary Jules.) Otherwise, just play in a tribute band and try to be note-perfect to the record. :person_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Getting off topic, but I’ve always loved Ani DiFranco’s cover of Amazing Grace, too.

3 Likes

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Is a version of a well-known gospel song a “cover”? :thinking: Isn’t it more like an interpretation (she said, getting further off-topic)

2 Likes

(Continuing off topic) All righty then, I propose a new rule: IF a song is more than, say 100 years old, OR is covered by (maybe?) more than a dozen bands or artists, THEN it is an interpretation instead of a cover.

3 Likes

jumping off-topic with wild abandon Maybe… I’m just saying that a song like Amazing Grace was written in the 18th century, was meant to be shared widely and sung, not by an individual who has some “ownership” of the song, but by congregations and choirs. The song was meant to be shared widely, due to the fact that the author wrote it to talk about his religious conversion and his embrace of abolitionism. Most music in the old times (folk music, at least) was meant to be shared, by various people interpreting a song in their own way (adding new lyrics to a new tune, changing the music, changing the type of instruments being used, etc)… This seems like a different process than the idea of covering a song in the modern industry. A cover can be faithful or can be an interpretation, but given that one is still covering a song that everyone knows is (in this case, to try and bring it back on topic) a Korn song, the song is implied to be owned by Korn. When someone says the song, most people familiar with it, will probably automatically thin of the band and that version will play in their head… Although we know the authorship of Amazing Grace (John Newton), it’s centuries removed from his context, I don’t think we think of the song “belonging to him” in the same way Freak on a Leash belongs to Korn. We have legal distinctions about that in fact - AG is most certainly in the public domain (though recordings OF it can be copyrighted). We all understand that Korn owns the rights to their song, though… This is even MORE true for songs that we don’t know the authorship, too… like lots of traditional ballads… like the original version of something like Whiskey in the Jar is obscure enough that no one is sure who wrote the original.

TLDR: Don’t know if that made sense, but maybe you got something out of that ramble… :grimacing:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.