80,000 dead of Covid in January, America's worth month yet

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/27/80000-dead-of-covid-in-january-americas-worth-month-yet.html

5 Likes

# America’s worth month yet @beschizza Yo my main Man, something up with that …

6 Likes

Maybe he was making a subtle comment on the destructive environmental impacts of humans, and this month makes up for our delayed entry into the Paris Climate Accords. /s

3 Likes

But was it WORTH it?

I’d hate to see @beschizza BB stock go down in WORTH

4 Likes

Perhaps the lesser known Barbara Walters effect.

7 Likes

giphy

8 Likes

broadchurch-sad|nullxnull

Damn you, making me laugh as I’m crying…

9 Likes

Worst typo yet?

3 Likes

Or the wurst typo yet?

4 Likes

The pandemic is many times worse now than it has been, and we are doing less and less.

The local “christian” hospital my mom goes to (not the one I work for) has stopped taking drive-through blood tests, people are back in the waiting rooms, and they aren’t taking temperatures at the door anymore.

When we went for a covid test for her, they referred her to one of the little private, unaffiliated, storefront “urgent care clinics”, then made a show of wiping the door handles as we were leaving. It seems they have washed their hands of the covid situation completely.

I think that is the direction the US is leaning overall, and what will continue to happen more and more going forward. The moneyed in our country simply do not care if the elderly, sick, and weak die. I think they see it as productive as it saves on future social security and other government support.

It all boils down to the Scrooge’s argument for “decreasing the surplus population.”

7 Likes

Man, I never sausage a picture. Tine for lunch…

6 Likes

…and now that it’s fixed, confusion shall ensue… :slight_smile:

1 Like

So much this! It came up on a work call recently. Last April, things seemed like we might be able to manage, and all our regular annual conferences got cancelled. Rightly so.
Fast forward to now, when we are so much worse off, and the conference folks are planning to hold in-person again. :woman_shrugging:t2: Not all of them, but enough.
I get that their business model has been really screwed, but the fact that any of us are even considering attending in person blows my mind. (I’m not. I would rather quit, if necessary, but I don’t think it will come to that. I have amazing supervisors/colleagues.)
I think a huge part of the reaction is fatigue and a feeling like nothing has really helped, even though we never even tried to make it enough that it would help. Which I largely blame on our tragic leadership up til last week.
It didn’t have to be this way.

8 Likes

Oddly, it never seems to get fixed in the bbs header. I welcome the confused befuddlement. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It didn’t, but it was always going to be this way with Republicans in power. Current Republican governors are fine with the “do nothing” plan. Bush Jr. completely failed to seriously address the domestic emergencies in his time (Hurricane Katrina immediately springs to mind: “Heckuva job, Brownie”). Reagan didn’t invent the phrase, but he sure gave it a boost in popularity: "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are “I’m from the government, and I’m here to help.”

5 Likes

Yeah. I don’t know that it would’ve been quite this bad if any of the previous Repubs were in charge, but one of the ultimate disappointments of my young-ish life was when, after 9/11, people asked what the American public could do to get through this, and our Commander in Chief said, “go shopping.”
I was no fan of Bush Jr, by any stretch, but that felt akin to finding out your dad snuck into the closet and ate all your Easter candy or something. Just so pathetic. Not at all meeting the moment, and leaving us all on our own to figure out how to make sense of it and do something meaningful.
And then you look at all your neighbors who voted for that person and think, “this is who you want in charge?!?” Ugh.

5 Likes

My wife’s aunt was one of them. I could have been another. Fortunately my case was mild, though my taste and smell are only 80 percent now, I’d say.

The vaccine is the answer. Masks, eh. My wife and I were even more paranoid than most (she runs a nursery school and I’m middle-aged), and my son and I still got it. Covid spreads insidiously.

vaccinating the world will take time.
if people don’t mask and distance, deaths will still continue to mount at absurd rates, and many will die that would not die if people wore masks.

vaccines are the long term answer.

masks are required NOW.

7 Likes

masks are required NOW.

I’m in a mandatory mask state. They don’t stop all droplets and vapors.

The vaccine does not cure, it does not prevent you being infected or from infecting others.

4 Likes