80-year-old lady surprised when TSA finds sword inside her walking cane

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/11/80-year-old-lady-surprised-whe.html

3 Likes

No, that is not a sword in my cane; I am just happy to see you.

12 Likes

Did somebody say cane sword?

9 Likes

And once again, the TSA bravely protects us from dangerous items carried by non-dangerous persons.

What, someone’s going to try to hijack a plane with a sword, now? With the ever-decreasing space in a plane, you couldn’t even get a decent swing or thrust from most angles.

28 Likes
7 Likes

I’m off to the thrift store. I’ll be in the cane aisle.

25 Likes

“To the three of us.”

7 Likes

The description accords with Richard Francis Burton’s accounting in The Book of the Sword.

2 Likes

suuurrrre “surprised”. that’s one badass grandma.

10 Likes

Was that wrong? Because I don’t have any unsworded canes.

9 Likes

Always seemed like the target demographic for that product must be kind if limited. How many people both

1. Require a cane to walk
  2. Need to be ready for close-range armed combat at all times
23 Likes

\3. Have any knowledge of, or skill at, swordsmanship. A cane sword is not an easy weapon to use effectively.

11 Likes

They’re typically bloody awful swords, too.

10 Likes

I doubt many sword canes are made today. As mentioned in the article you find old ones in thrift stores from a time when a cane was a reasonable accessory for a gentleman.

4 Likes

Sword canes seem like a marketing gimick for paranoid rich toffs.

8 Likes

I aways have thought of them as a vanity item. A way to make “I’m old and have to use a cane” into “I’m old and I have a sword hidden in my cane.”

17 Likes

Wow. Have to remember: Use the blade for thrusting, the scabbard for parrying. And, also, that they’re illegal in less enlightened nations.

3 Likes

Right? That lady’s got important work to do!

4 Likes

Aw man - I would have gladly traded her my mundane one for hers.

I wonder if it was a cheapy Cold Steel or something nice, like a vintage one or that guy who makes them in South Africa.

1 Like

She obviously doesn’t read BoingBoing

5 Likes