9 minutes of Aussie-flavoured dashcam hell

That’s an oxymoron, right there. A better name for them would be “no-season” tires. The best ones out there with that label are really 3-season tires. They are very good for [summer, winter] and OK for transition seasons. But on their off-season, they are really, really bad.

3 Likes

My brain stopped when I heard the radio commercial saying “If you want to keep the juices flowing with Paaaassshhh” UM WHAT IN THE HELL?!?

also: “You fuck-wit!” HAHAHAHAHAH!!!

1 Like

In my neck of the woods (which is not Australia), we have many, many roundabouts (or, as we call them here, Rotaries). Your understanding of the right of way here is correct- entering vehicles always yield to vehicles in the circle.
But, when I lived in Cleveland (for example), this was not the case- entering vehicles had right of way.
My cursory research indicates traffic in the roundabout has priority in Australia (here).

2 Likes

“Rotaries” . . . lemme guess:

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/blog/2016/09/12/boston-worst-drivers-united-states/

5 Likes

Video could be x10 better with Mad Max sound clips added.

What a lovely day!

5 Likes

I still quote that when driving.

2 Likes

I am so grateful that I will be exchanging driving for municipal transportation soon.

5 Likes

Journalist : -The stunts in Mad Max are just thrilling !

George Miller : - Stunts ? What stunts ?

7 Likes

Nashville drivers as well. Here’s a pic showing it.

17 Likes

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

1 Like

mistake or greatest drift turnoff ever?

video set to 4m56s mark:

3 Likes

It’s not about who gets to the intersection first,. It’s who’s actually in the roundabout. The unwritten rule is give way to the right.

1 Like

Welp, now I’m afraid to drive in Australia if I ever go there.

Pro tip: Flip your sun visor down before you drive off in case of lurking clock-spiders. You really don’t want to turn a bend and have one plop into your lap as you’re dazzled by the sun.

7 Likes

You gonna eat that?

6 Likes

The drivers surprised at the pedestrians must be pretty green. If you are passing a car that is stopped for no obvious reason at an intersection, there’s a good chance that they stopped for a pedestrian (and possibly even waved them across, idiots), so you should be ready for that. Likewise if a bus is stopped there is an excellent chance that a pedestrian or two will suddenly emerge from in front of the bus. Doesn’t make the pedestrians right, but this is as common as potholes and shouldn’t take you by surprise.

5 Likes

Although that appears to be more of an example of “drivers are idiots,” which the Aussie video shows to be universal… The rain effect is more that people, especially for the first rain of the season (when the situation is most dangerous), keep driving as if nothing has changed and holy shit why is my car sliding around in this alarming manner! I shudder to think of what would happen if all of California suddenly got snow.

1 Like

:fork_knife_plate: Not right now, but I’ll save it for me lunch.

Sudden, unexpected :spider: causing car crashes is a thing. Not all that common, but it does happen. Add in the piss-poor standard of Aussie driving and there’s a few deaths that can be chalked up to it.

4 Likes

Everything in Australia is trying to kill you…even the cars. :relaxed:

9 Likes

For even more terrifying collections of international driving fun, I present to you … South Korea! (Close runners up Russia, India, and China)

Features include: falling asleep at the wheel in the daytime on dry pavement, optional use of redlights, and not giving a $#!+ .With special guest, “Suicidal Minivan and His Leap into Oblivion!”

I drove in this stuff for years and almost got into severe accidents that could have killed me, some intentionally caused. Years of defensive driving paid off, but what really made me mad was that driver’s bad behavior was designed into the road system by default, as if it were made intentionally hard to use. When it rained there was no proper drainage on the highways; hydroplaning and roadspray were a given. I even witnessed people driving black cars, at night, with no headlights, in the rain, at over 110kph.

When I got back to the US, I scoffed at what some people considered “unsafe driving.” California freeway chases? No problem. 10-wheel dump trucks? Now you’re talking. Overloaded Euroliners lumbering side-by-side, lane-splitting 6-lane highways? Piece of cake. Cranes stuck in tunnels on blind curves? Hahaa-aah. The good old days.

Rules of thumb: always watch which direction the wheels are pointed, you can’t rely turn signals. Assume brake lights never work. Horns are your friends. There are no safe following distances, only escape vectors. Someone will always pull in front of you and jam on their brakes. Look at your side-mirrors when turning corners. And don’t relax … you won’t have time to.

3 Likes