A $3.50 hot dog won a James Beard Award

I’m another philistine who (with very few exceptions) dislikes mayo as well. I’ve often passed up on what might otherwise be a very delicious sandwich, or had to special-order it, because of mayonnaise-based sauces, and more than once when I haven’t asked, I’ve only discovered it had mayo when biting into it.

Ranch dressing, and sour cream as well, are also on my “do not want” list. Strangely, sour cream & onion potato chips taste good to me, though - probably more because of the onions.

About the only situations where I find mayonnaise palatable are in tuna salad or something that gets broiled.

I really dislike mayo, ranch i will tolerate but i’m not entirely keen on. I too will often pass on certain food stuffs because of the mayo in them, though some of the few things i don’t mind it in is coleslaw, tuna, and similar dishes as long as you can’t really taste it.

I’m pretty sure it’s the Beard awards…

2 Likes

See I’m more appalled by this, because while that looks good, I have eaten some amazing Sonoran hot dogs – the original real deal – from street vendors in Phoenix that appear after dark. They started appearing a few years ago in my Dad’s neighborhood in South Phoenix, and despite my limited Spanish, I was able to order what I wanted and chow down.

Then one day I started hearing about these fancy pants versions in restaurants. I’m sure they’re lovely, but not sure how I feel about all the recognition while the thing I love gets ignored.

That might be the Palm d’Or, but not the Oscars.

2 Likes

I have eaten some amazing Sonoran hot dogs – the original real deal – from street vendors in Phoenix that appear after dark. They started appearing a few years ago in my Dad’s neighborhood in South Phoenix

I’m sorry, but “the real deal” started down here, more than a few years ago, in places like this:

GueroCanelo01

1 Like

Yeah considering the owner was doing his own thing, didn’t even know what the award was so i don’t think he was trying to impress any critics.

Fair enough. I think I may be confusing the hot dog that won an award with the variations that started appearing on menus of otherwise very traditionally American restaurants and got hip with Yelpers and Instagrammers like they invented it. I saw James Beard award and assumed the worst.

That establishment looks like somewhere I’d pull into in a heartbeat, and is the permanent version of the roach coach type places I frequent when I visit my family. Apologies for the confusion – I haven’t been to Tucson since I was a kid when we used to visit a family friend and go to Old Tucson – before the fire that took out most of it.

1 Like

I did not know the Beard Award had a sandwich category…

Frank and beans? :joy:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.