A 76-year-old Asian woman fights off an attacker with a stick, sending him to the hospital

FFS… from the news report:

Police did not disclose a motive for the attack and it was not clear whether the victim’s race had anything to do with the assault.

Officers also say there was a second victim Wednesday morning, an 83-year-old Asian man. A 39-year-old man is now being investigated for both attacks, and police say they are working to determine if bias was a factor.

. * sigh * Really, media? Do you really need to work this hard to question whether a guy who randomly assaulted two Asian people (and no one else) was motivated by racism?

It isn’t. This shit is going on everywhere. I was reading about a Chinese restaurant in New York where, because so many employees had been attacked as they went home after work, they decided to shut down early every day so the workers wouldn’t have to travel after dark. Someone started a group in NY that matches up “buddies” so Asian people don’t have to take the subway by themselves, etc.

26 Likes

People. Simples.

3 Likes

No, it’s not that simple. It’s mostly men who’ve become infected with toxic masculinity and white supremacy.

35 Likes

Cue uncritical speculation that these attacks were due to age-related bias in 3… 2…

(/s if you need it)

2 Likes

Gracias mi Amiga. It’s American society that has given Men/White Men a pass, evidence is readily available almost daily.

11 Likes

more people beating up racists and nazis, please.

13 Likes

I see this traumatized old woman in tears and I think, 1) She should be the one getting the medical care, not Whitey McPrivilege on the stretcher. 2) I wish she’d gotten in a few more whacks.

Seriously, who hits a little old lady just standing on a street corner? Hard enough to blacken her eye and give her a concussion? Who does that?

19 Likes

Tears Of Joy GIF by memecandy

That’s a seriously beautiful story that shows just how much bullshit the whole “humanity is shit” and “people only take care of their own kind” actually is. Thanks for sharing and reminding me of that. The bullshit hot takes people have been posting on these stories all day has been getting me down.

23 Likes

If he was hit hard enough to have a concussion, then it would be warranted. If he had not been white, then he would not have gotten the consideration, and might have been locked up and died from any resultant injuries.

My sister had a concussion once and had to stay in bed for nearly a month in a dark room. They’re not something to fuck around with.

14 Likes

Jail was his next step (after insuring there are no serious injuries from his altercation.) Notice the “silver bracelets” attaching him to the stretcher.

Once medically cleared, off to jail he goes. (Don’t have a name yet, otherwise can’t use the inmate locator.)

Per the San Francisco CBS report, both went to the hospital. (I am assuming in separate transport.)

12 Likes

The thing that really shocks me about this is that there are 76 year old Asian ladies all over the country, and this happened in San Francisco.

2 Likes

More people of Asian ancestry in S.F. than most parts of the country, thus more targets. And she’s hardly the first one this happened to.

8 Likes

Exactly why I am surprised. The high asian population there seems like it should lend itself much more tolerance on average. But, I guess I don’t live there, I just visit occasionally. So my perception may not really align with the reality.

2 Likes

Not really how racism works. The most horrific acts of anti-Black racist violence took place in parts of the country that had more Black people, not fewer.

23 Likes

I can still close my eyes and hear the voices of their concern, it makes me happy on my hard days, when I no longer believe as well, I’m humbled in the presence of those memories, and heartened that good days will come for us all. Stay well my friend.

14 Likes

Yeah, there’s a buddy group here in Oakland I’ve considered volunteering with. Maybe it’s time to actually do it.

https://compassioninoakland.org/

8 Likes

Beginning to feel like 1933 …

1 Like

The only thing I like about this is that not one person took the stick away from her.

11 Likes

Humans have the creative freedom to create/make any reality they want[ed] and we chose racism, bigotry, credit scores, billionaires, pollution, starvation, slavery, the list grows daily.

You and I need to change the world / society, it’s up to us, the they won’t be part of the new future, the they won’t help create a different world.

What do we really have to lose? The above list won’t be missed, so let’s get going.

10 Likes

After he punched her, did he stand there and wait for the light? If he was running from someone, the time it took her to grab the stick, and swing it back, he would have been a half a block away. I’m glad she smacked him, but the story hasn’t been fully told, I think.