Racist Karen screams at woman exercising in park: 'This is not your home! We do not want you here!'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/11/racist-karen-screams-at-woman.html

13 Likes

Actually, if you want to live here, this is indeed your home. Welcome! We’re glad to have you, whoever you are.

50 Likes

Bright side…she’s elderly. A permanent solution is coming sooner, not later.

24 Likes

For every 80 year old there is are multiple 30 years olds pulling the same shit. They’re all old enough to know better

44 Likes

I wonder which native American tribe that old lady hails from…

58 Likes

Did I say otherwise? I can only take these assholes one at a time. And in this particular case…the issue will resolve itself in a rather short time.

6 Likes

The Karen in question instigated the entire encounter; she could have easily walked around the woman working out, or just picked another set of steps.

43 Likes

Karen Avoids Making Scene” is a headline I’d like to see.

40 Likes

Ugh. Internet rage directed at clueless elderly individual coming in 5, 4, 3, …

Unfortunately, this rage is a distraction that does nothing at dealing with the real issue of systemic, institutional racism, especially that which is an essential part of almost every police department.

2 Likes

So we should say nothing?
Thanks.

43 Likes

That sounds like a great Onion article at this point.

10 Likes

The older woman in the video wasnt clueless; she walked past the woman doing her workout then circled back to intentionally bump into her; she initiated all contact and then immediately began to verbally threaten the younger woman.

What she did is legally considered assault and menacing.

69 Likes

You don’t get a pass for bigotry just because you had the good fortune to grow old successfully.

55 Likes

In the video of the initial incident, the woman passed by going up the stairs. It seems like she turned around and came back down to purposefully bump into the woman exercising. Hard to know her true reason for passing by again, but the bump and subsequent meltdown are pretty damning.

17 Likes

Yes, that is basically what I stated in my second comment.

20 Likes

simpsons-lovejoy-think-of-racists

47 Likes

Never underestimate the power of public shaming. Sure, she’ll still be a racist shitbucket, but maybe others like her will learn to keep their hands and hatred to themselves.

What matters here is the victim’s experience; this sort of behavior has a chilling effect on her freedom of movement. Shaming Granny Karen not only may help to discourage this sort of action, it also signals that we, as a society, are intolerant of this intolerance. Small change, sure, but as our great friends in Act Up et al taught us, silence=death.

38 Likes

Fair enough. I’m not giving her a pass on her bigotry. But her abject racism is just so commonplace, and relative to the police pulling over black motorists for going UNDER the speed limit, I just don’t get the passionate anger over some random old yeller.

The way I see it, here’s a story about some random racist 80-something POS bumping a young person, yelling racist crap at her and threatening assault. That story is not enough to deserve ire. The old woman is not an authority figure. There is no weapon here. She has no real power, other than the fact that – like the majority of Trump voters – she’s white and old and racist. I don’t have time to get upset at individuals who are part of the old white racist contingent of the Republican Party.

She will be appropriately punished, either by the legal system or by the internet mob, who’ll dox her and maybe throw some feces at her house.

Am I missing something? She’s just a regular POS who is rapidly losing her privileged space in society. Why elevate her to the level of internet villain? She is unworthy of the attention.

2 Likes

Because it’s a major part of the problem. :woman_shrugging:

48 Likes

Disagree. The fact that white folks feel free to engage in this kind of flagrant assholery and expect to be absolutely free of consequences is absolutely emblematic of systemic, institutionalized racism. If a black man treated her in the same manner, how would you interpret it? And what are the chances that he would not suffer consequences for his actions? The trend for white assholes to suffer for their sins is far, far overdue.

52 Likes