A beginner's guide to the Redpill Right

1. Of course you are aware of the influence of T.S. Eliot on the works of Wm. Shakespeare?
  2. ARGH ARGH ARGH DIE IN A FIRE
  3. I remember watching them back-to-back (7S then M7) and being amazed at the huge chunks of (translated) dialogue that were still present in M7.

OK, I was wrong about sickle cell.

Nevertheless, the things we call ‘race’ are, in fact, genetically determined. You can’t will yourself, or be taught, to have darker or lighter skin. And no amount of choice will get you the typical Asian eyefolds if your parents didn’t have them. These things are indeed superficial, and yes, they can be modified in your descendants, and races can and do mix. But nevertheless, they are among the superficial genetically-determined traits that define the races. “Races” exist because we have, over the millennia, decided that this set of superficial heritable features constitute a race, and this set is another race, and this set makes yet another.

It’s a cheap cliche. http://foreveralonefedoras.tumblr.com/ Obviously not all fedora wearers…

Good heavens. I wasn’t sure if you were using the name figuratively (though it would’ve made sense if you had).

O RLY?

That doesn’t explain how, in some places at the same time, the Irish were considered white or not white, nor how a lot of people in the U.S. now consider “Arabs” a different race (when they used to be thought of there as “white”), nor how etc., etc.

tl; dr: Any “genetic differences” between races are indeed “superficial,” as you said, but more to the point, or my point, they’re also quite arbitrary, and constantly shifting. It’s social designations and geographic placements of any discernible races that matter, not genetic differences (which, as Humbabella said above about differences in terms of sex, vary more WITHIN discernible races than between them).

6 Likes

There’s a forum (?) on Reddit called The Red Pill. I was given the link by someone who was laughing about it.

I didn’t see much that was funny about that place. The people there certainly have some strange and unsettling ideas, like their extreme misogyny. But as usual, I find it difficult to throw everyone into one basket and label them all with the same title. I doubt everyone there is a right-winger, for example, and there’s probably a wide variety of other differences among them. So I do not believe it’s accurate to call its adherents the Redpill Right unless everything that’s considered bad is automatically lumped into the category of “right wing.”

Why did you not mention that the red pillers originated on reddit, and that they are near universally despised there, despite its reputation as a haven of white male privilege? Even the locus of anti-social justice sentiment, the subreddit TumblrInAction, considers them fair game for ridicule as sort of gender flipped version of the worst feminist stereotypes.

Oh man, that goes high on the list. I finished The Big Knockover not long ago.

Maybe 50 years ago. I have one friend who is a little ‘l’ libertarian and he argues this all the time. That said, when you say “I’m a Libertarian” to people, they’re going to assume the Capital L version and write you off as a douche.

Well that tears it. I’m switching to a bicorn.

2 Likes

You’re going to do that, and I won’t have a fuck to give about your games. Stop telling people how to talk, try asking, listening, and giving the fuck you want back.

Yes, RLY.

That doesn’t explain how, in some places at the same time, the Irish
were considered white or not white,

The Irish tried to claim a different bloodline from the Brits, and vice versa - for political reasons, mostly. And they brought that argument to the US. That there wasn’t much factual basis for this wasn’t known until very recently - now we can do genetic surveys. But, at the time, some within each group thought they were talking about actual important genetic differences and they thought they could see them - or at least they pretended they could.

nor how a lot of people in the U.S.
now consider “Arabs” a different race (when they used to be thought of
there as “white”), nor how etc., etc.

Yes, people use the concept for all kinds of stupid things and are quite happy to come up with new races (or dispose of old ones) based on new groupings of traits, when politics dictates.

But, IMO, there are some racial distinctions that probably will never be erased because people will always notice them. Hopefully, people might someday be able to get over the idea that those superficial differences matter. Or maybe the world will eventually become a big global genetic melting pot and the differences will be blended away so we won’t have to even think about such things. Maybe in 4033, humanity will be a homogenous blend. We’ll have to find something else to hate each other for.

Any “genetic differences” between races are indeed “superficial,”
as you said, but more to the point, or my point, they’re also quite arbitrary, and constantly shifting

Which is something I don’t disagree with. I’ve never said they were anything other than collections of traits that people put names on.

It’s social designations and geographic placements of any discernible races that matter, not genetic differences

True. But the genetics is how you discern them.

Does it matter? Labels don’t say anything about what or how people think, nor what they do. The labels shift over time, and are often not even understood by the people who use them. To pick a few modern classics, how about liberals versus conservatives? Is anybody clear as to what they are supposedly conserving or liberating? Not in my experience, they are just used as arbitrary labels, and not worth trying to take at face value.

It could also be argued that it’s a bit ignorant to assume the worst about a belief system by name when it is often used by people who don’t understand it. Better, I think, to not jump to conclusions based upon easy tribal identifications which are too simplistic to encompass the real issues.

But is genetics really how most people make these distinctions in their daily life? Nobody has ever sampled my genetic data to decide what race or gender I may be. But, supposedly, most every person makes some evaluation of me in these categories when they see me. The superficial, arbitrary distinctions are all they have to go on.

1 Like

Yes, it matters because people act towards others based on labels. We don’t live in your utopia.

5 Likes

Favoritism and Entitlement are the same thing. It just depends on whether you are the one giving out, or whether you are the one receiving.

Good luck with that, I doubt if there’s any future in it.

I’m not telling you how to do anything, dude. You can talk however you want. I’m just saying that in the general discourse, when people say “Libertarian,” people assume it is one specific kind of politics and that’s it. Maybe you should chill a little.

It isn’t about you.

1 Like

But thousands of years of history with no sign of it stopping.

2 Likes

There are many histories, which overlap and rewrite themselves. Some of them are lost. Modelling them as a single linear progression only helps the propagandist.