A beginner's guide to the Redpill Right

So, don’t call assholes on being assholes because it might make them assholes.

12 Likes

She had her cousin slip a mickey into his wine, knowing he would drink heavily while hunting a dangerous animal…

4 Likes

Call them on being an asshole, by all means, but don’t do it in a way that lets them make themselves a martyr. Remember Nietzche: “He who fights with assholes should look to it that he himself does not become an asshole. And when you gaze long into an asshole the asshole also gazes into you.”

…Well, I think that’s what he said.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Who knew that reading Game of Thrones and watching too much TV (with my wife) of it would turn out to be useful on Boing Boing?

2 Likes

3 Likes

6 Likes

Lena Heady is great. I could almost consider overcoming my strong aversion to medievalist fantasy to watch her in something.

I I like your gifs. Here’s another owl for you.

4 Likes

As my friend says, it’s yet more “space Britain”… but I really think it’s a good take on the genre. I’d have to say that this series and Discworld are my favorite medievial fantasy series.

And likewise numbers to bolster the power of the land grab in Oz and NZ.

2 Likes

One of the whole points of Game of Thrones is that is deconstructs the romanticism of medieval fantasy. As a friend of mine says, it is clear that the primary enemy is the feudal order that pushes people to act in certain ways, even when they clearly do not wish to do so.

5 Likes

And another in return for you:

1 Like

It seems fitting somehow that this was the case among fans of the game where your character can die during character generation.

3 Likes

A few years back conservative nepotism beneficiary Jonah Goldberg pooped out a book, “Liberal Fascism” which attempted to make the case. It received bad reviews from people on both sides of the political spectrum, including conservatives who have really studied the history of fascism, but has managed to linger in the wingnut sphere like a persistent fart.

4 Likes

1 Like

Or as I like to call them, Nuzis™

1 Like

Thank you @shaddack for making my point for me.

From p24 in the BMA reference I provided, which does indeed bother to break down by socio-economic group, race and gender: “White and from a more disadvantaged socio-economic background … … is particularly under-represented at medical school in comparison to the wider population.” (BMA/UK Equality Commission 2011). The italics are mine, the snipped text is about the group in question being better represented in a graduate program (which are less usual in the UK). Access to the other professions is equally difficult.

I’m not exposing my “interesting” childhood experience for sympathy. It’s the past and shit happened. I am trying to point out that the experience of being female or a POC varies dramatically with socio-economic factors, but being poor is universally awful whatever other factors you wish to apply. Why not talk about that and do something about it as it will improve the lot of everyone?

Of course. I’ve never been disabled or homeless or experienced family violence or divorce so there’s that. If any of those things had happened I’d probably have a very different life and not be here to post. But you are trying to avoid the point I’m making. Which is that poverty sucks for everyone who is stuck in it. Do something about that and everyone wins. Except the super rich, but they just get cut down a peg or 3.

2 Likes

What makes you think no one anywhere is talking about poverty?

And what stops you from seeing that when people are talking about race, they’re often ALSO talking about poverty, and about how being a member of a race that’s not white usually makes people even poorer than white poor people tend to be?

Lots of people talk about poverty, including poverty among white people.

You may not realize it, but what you’re basically saying is, “Let’s ignore people of color and talk about white people problems instead.”

Conversations about poverty (which are often de facto conversations about white poverty) happen all over the place, including BB. Imagine someone coming into a conversation on problems faced by black people (or by women) and saying, “You know, we really shouldn’t be talking about black people (or women) here. You should change the topic; stop talking about black people (or women), and start talking about poor people.”

How do you think that would go over? Oh, right–you think it would go over great, because that’s what you just did.

2 Likes

You’d think people would extrapolate from emotion-based Theory of Mind failures in real life to realise that attempts at online emotional clues would be even less useful … :confused: (At least smilies get a tool tip)

I have a pretty extensive reading list and online tool recommendations for face and emotion reading. PM if you’re interested?