'A Border Agent Took My Sister and Me Into a Closet and Sexually Assaulted Us,' say teen sisters

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/03/22/teen-sisters-fleeing-guatemala.html

5 Likes

I have no words.

Well, okay… maybe one;

38 Likes

36 Likes

The revolting disgust I feel right now.

15 Likes

No amount of not being surprised by shit like this makes the effect of reading about this any less depressing and faith-in-humanity-crushing.

26 Likes

Yet more proof that the people who are most eager to apply for jobs that involve wearing a badge and a gun are, sadly, most often among those who should absolutely never be allowed to wear a badge or a gun.

42 Likes

And this happens before the regime lowers the employment screening standards for the additional 5k border agents they want to hire in the next few years.

[edited to correct number]

20 Likes

CBP needs to be disbanded!
Reconstitution of the service should involve extreme vetting.

These are the folks who freely post this sort of shit:

26 Likes

DHS is clearly one of the most flawed agencies in the Federal system. Between CBP and TSA, Jesus… Where to even begin. And yeah, under-trained cops who are on a particular power trip these days raping young girls? I WISH I was shocked by this.

16 Likes

By the way, it is clearly a very apt time to remind people of the seminal cyberpunk work The Eclipse Trilogy by John Shirley. It’s almost as if someone read it as a how-to guide, which actually is making me nauseous to even type.

9 Likes

Actually they plan to enforce highly-selective hiring criteria: “Must actively support alt-Right/White Power agenda.”

9 Likes

When America sends its agents, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people

26 Likes

Bastards

5 Likes

Exactly what I’ve been talking about on my twitter feed this morning. The same people who are politicizing the Rockville rape of a teen at one of the schools by an alleged illegal immigrant for political gain are the ones who will mock these two girls and claim they are lying, they are whores, they were illegals so don’t deserve any rights. They use one situation to empower their hatred, garner support and work the system in their favor. Using their logic, we should now extrapolate that all border patrol agents are evil rapists and should be fired and jailed. But that’s stupid, we all are reasonable enough to know that. Unfortunately too many people can’t extrapolate their reasonableness about border patrol agents to other groups.

14 Likes

The most shocking thing about this to me is that what happened to these young women differs only by degree and details from official procedure. When your procedures are to dehumanize and violate on a routine basis, how bright is the line between abuse and “your job duties.” In an organization that strip searches, grab genitals and performs cavity searches with the sheerest of rationale and with utter disregard for the humanity of the recipient, what rule was broken here? Don’t do it in a closet? Don’t let them know how much you’re enjoying it?

13 Likes

The horror is that if the agent in question ever faces any sanction for his crime, it will be a slap on the wrist for some trivial policy violation, exactly as you speculate, rather than for, you know, rape under color of law.

13 Likes

the whole “Department of Homeland Security” thing creeps me out in a way that Homeland sounds particularly Nazi and German to me.

16 Likes

I agree, and yet at least it’s less creepy than motherland or fatherland. The state is not my parents.

5 Likes

Don’t even have the words. If this is what makes America great, I want nothing to do with this country anymore.

6 Likes

cameras are cheap. really cheap. so is storage. I know it would take a lot of cameras to cover everything people with badges do, but I have to wonder how many we could buy for the price of single fighter jet.

4 Likes