A brief history of goths

I scored free tickets to one of their shows yay for friends at a radio station but to be fair I was gonna buy them but he said wait let me ask around the station. My 3 friends and I were the only ones not wearing all black.

1 Like

When was this? I do know lots of non-goths who like them here, at least.

1 Like

Oh jeez over 20 years ago it was for Into The Labyrinth so 1993/1994? So I would have been 26/27. Had to road trip to Chicago for the show. Had an after show pass too but all we got out of that was a a room full of snacks and watching the band wave to us as they rushed out to a bar somewhere.

3 Likes

There is humor in it, but it is the literal truth. One of the nice things about isolated living is that there are few people to try to tell the kids that they are too old to do such things. Also, we make a lot of historical clothing, so the resources are there.
But when I read the article and watched the videos, I was thinking about how my kids skipped that phase, mostly. Except that they do sometimes show up for dinner dressed as Visigoths or vikings, or Samurai or whatever. Now that they are teenagers, the outfits are well researched and museum accurate. Right now my oldest is home from school, and he is making a viking age cloak and hood from a wolf pelt. (we did not shoot the wolf!)

To be fair, it’s a subculture, so by definition most kids didn’t go through a goth phase, I’d argue. it was about not feeling like you fit in elsewhere and looking for others who get you. Lots of kids just find that in the mainstream culture or in their families culture. Subcultures tend to be those that seek out a self-defining, self-selecting community that escape to from the mainstream culture.

Nice! I’m liking these nerdy kids!

2 Likes

I saw them a couple of years ago when they were touring again. Holy fucking shit, it was incredible. :scream:

3 Likes

what a great day! i was pretty apprehensive about going and revisiting my misspent youth. but it turned out to be so good

i’m pretty sure i didn’t see michael gira. i take it he was really good? there were so many people playing on so many stages…you needed the wisdom of solomon to navigate the choices.

1 Like

Evidently Emodiversity is a thing, but so far no-one is speaking up for Gothidiversity.

Yes, it was a spectacular day. Gira was great, as always, and I really enjoyed James Blood Ulmer’s set in the turbine hall.

If you’re still in Sydney, I deejay once a month at Sanctuary at the Valve Bar under the Agincourt. 10th of June this time. I play an earlier set so I can get away with weirder stuff more easily than the peak times. Come along if you want to hear some dark stuff at high volume. Mostly an older crowd, generally a good time.

1 Like

There are a few things I could say about the video but I don’t want to ramble and nit pick.

But ending on death rock revival instead of NuGoth was weird. They completely skipped “what the kids today are wearing” which seems like it would be the point.

I really haven’t noticed a spike in people wearing death rock looks, it feels pretty consistent over the 20 years I’ve been going to clubs. Granted I’ve never gone out in New York or London where you’d get more trend watching.

I think the most enormous and grand death rock hair I’ve ever seen was on a guy in Paris 3/4 years ago.

3 Likes

The women’s video ended on NuGoth, but it has its own oddities:

3 Likes

You got: Nancy
You’re a natural leader. Unlike other people, you don’t have a “dark side” so much as you’re a black hole, sucking in light and goodness and tossing back snakes and spiders and perfectly-lined dark lips. You’ve been wronged and hurt, but let that make you better, not bitter.

4 Likes

I just heard this on the radio:

1 Like

Yeah, I know Andrew Aldrich vocally denied any links to Goth music and I can totally see why. The thing is that the bands who define what we think of as “early Goth music” didn’t see themselves as Goth altogether, but rather as New Wave or, in the case of Sisters of Mercy, Rock music. The term “Goth” emerged after these band’s influential years and is now more of a marketing term for a genre that relies on clichee symbols like crosses, vampires and occasionally uniforms along with a paraphernalia of accessoires and horrible dance music that doesn’t get tired of exploiting the ever same topics of gloominess, depression and despair.
Thus it is, as you say, extremely limiting and the scene has become nothing more than a darker fashion show with underlying music that doesn’t express anything but the attempt to cash in.
I still listen to Siouxsie or Sisters a lot and it never gets boring. Never bothered to catch up on any new bands because they all sound the same to me.

Yeah, pretty much. I’m part of the scene although specifically “goth” music effectively died for me mid '80s. I deejay a bit, but most of the stuff I play isn’t goth at all, it just fits in terms of mood and beat.

2 Likes

Goth was fun when you still had to dye our clothes black yourself and wearing a black T-shirt made your teachers ask you about drugs and depression.

3 Likes

But we’re the children of the dark…

14 Likes

Correction: That is a raven riding a subway with their person.

6 Likes