A broken water main in New York turns the Upper West Side into a lake

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/13/a-broken-water-main-in-new-yor.html

7 Likes
11 Likes

Is there by any chance a hard freeze coming soon?

7 Likes

That’s not a flood. THIS is a flood. What happened in NY is God decided to wash the streets.

12 Likes

For whatever reason, I just imagined a New York cabbie / Venice Gondolier mash-up; cigarette dangling from the corner of a sneer, straw boater with a NY Yankees blue ribbon, furiously poling his way up the Upper West Side and belting out Sinatra tunes and ignoring any signals for a ride.

12 Likes

According to the historical data and forecasts on weather.gov, this past weekend it was in the upper 60’s F in New York City and the lows for NYC don’t drop below freezing until Thursday night.

I expect / hope they’ll have the water removed before the Upper West Side turns into a skating rink.

7 Likes

Yep, it was fun getting to work today!

4 Likes

Ah, well. Warmer than here in New Mexico, then.

The idea of ice skating in the streets (as in Ottowa) is off for another year.

3 Likes

Those temperatures didn’t keep it from snowing in D.C. yesterday.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/13/politics/white-house-snow-twitter/index.html

4 Likes

“Hey, I’m wading here! I’m wading here!”

20 Likes

Wow, that main break must have been huge, that is an incredible amount of water to be coming from one pipe.

5 Likes

Sure, but with more than 8.6 million people in the city that never sleeps, my guess is it ends up being a pretty big mess to untangle.

2 Likes

I saw a picture of this on Twitter and assumed it was (yet another) flood caused by global-warming-supercharged rain. I guess it being from a broken water main is… better?

“What do you do with that vibranium in Wakanda, build weapons?”
“Water and sewer pipes mainly. That infrastructure is never going to rot!”*

* but they will have some damned interesting water hammer problems!

7 Likes

It’s a little early relative to the book, but okay.

4 Likes

Do you figure they stock that thing?

4 Likes

Interesting. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to look where my copy of Catcher in the rye is.

A preview of things to come. The island of Manhattan is sinking, and with ocean level rise, the whole thing might turn into Venice eventually.

5 Likes

Well, I guess that will be good, since by then Venice will already be underwater… /s

6 Likes