"A bullet to the head": Republican Marjorie Taylor Greene approved of posts calling for Pelosi, Obama, Hillary Clinton and FBI agents to be executed

That’s why we have consequences for actions. of course. If mediation doesn’t work, then legal action might. We don’t have to change their minds to get them out of office if there is evidence that they aided the insurrection or other violent actions against others.

10 Likes

We have to focus on the moderates and get them to understand this, and to not fear the consequences of going against the Trumpers.

3 Likes

I agree, but by holding people accountable, that can help with that. Notice that there had been widespread plans for protests on inauguration day at state capitols. Not much materialized because the states were prepared AND there were consequences from the capitol insurrection on the 6th.

right now, the moderate republicans see a bigger threat (getting primaried) from Trump and his cronies than they do from literally trying to overthrow the government. If we don’t hold Trump right on down the line responsible for their actions, then they’ll keep doing this kind of thing and keep holding the GOP moderates hostage.

12 Likes

Interesting. I see the same dynamics, but in a different way. I’ll just chalk it up to everyone is different.

One side of my family is very liberal, the other very conservative. I often disagree with both, so it gets complicated. But in contrast to what you experience, the liberal side goes with asserting dominance and turns any discussion into personal attacks that tosses reason out the window. Everything is black and white. The conservative side is actually into reasoning and will calmly debate, sometimes even agreeing, but more often accepting things are grey. They can be awkward to talk to in a different way because there is a system of politeness governing conversations.

The same is often not true outside the family.

What I’ve learned from it is that everyone has core beliefs and a set of assumptions. The trick is to distinguish the two. Never question core beliefs, but you can navigate assumptions. Surprisingly, both sides have a lot of core beliefs in common. But the assumptions pull them apart. (example. Core belief: people should be safe. Assumption A: guns make people safe. Assumption B, guns make people unsafe.)

Oops, I think I’m just avoiding work. ignore me

2 Likes

which if you mail anything with regularity with tracking, you know right now they have supremely fucked up the post office.

8 Likes

Man- so many wack-a-doodles elected in to the legislature… people completely unqualified for the job.

There IS a historical case for violence to become real in the House or Senate. We can’t dismiss them as idle threats.

7 Likes

I took 21 days for a First Class poster tube to get to me from PA. :confused:

My friend who is a carrier said that “Everything is fucked.”

5 Likes

The problem is that (in theory, at least) holding office is open to anyone, due to it being a democratic system. Which in and of itself isn’t bad, as we all should be able to be part of governing ourselves. But as you note, sometimes, people who ill intent will get into office.

We should not, no. Yet some seem insistent on doing so by dismissing them as either scammers or “crazy.” We continue to do so at our peril, though.

10 Likes

Unqualified isn’t necessarily a bad thing, if they are willing to learn and coming from a good place.

Someone who got elected so they can slink around the Capitol building, tilting busts to expose the secret door to the satanic bloodletting room, outing the “Deep State”, might not have the best policy measures in mind. :confused:

2 Likes

No. And either she believes that stuff and will be sorely disappointed, because the actual business of law making isn’t that interesting or exciting, or she was blowing smoke to get into office and will not do anything effective in her time there. She’ll be out on her ass for the same reason that Loeffler was - she sucked at the job.

8 Likes

Some people are fired when they say they have chills seeing Biden’s plane land on inauguration day…

5 Likes

I mailed a priority mail post office box from NJ to NY on 23Dec, that did not arrive until 20Jan. It went 4 weeks without tracking till it was finally scanned in Kansas.

Another priority mail flat rate envelope I sent to a town not 15 miles from my office, went to Arkansas.

Not only is 2-Day mail taking weeks, they are wasting a supreme amount of effort transporting things needlessly. This is no small acheivement to fuck up the works so badly. I mail stuff ALL THE TIME, and like any high volume business the Post Office has always had fuck ups, and people like to make a big deal of them, but I’ve personally had a 99.99% success record with the USPS - I think we took it for granted what an amazing job they’ve always done.

Biden has to figure out how to clean house over there and get rid of the republicans on the board.

7 Likes

The deeper problem is that the actual business of lawmaking is only an insignificant part of a congressperson’s job. Fund raising and being an attention [sink] to secure reelection are by far the main jobs. Indeed fund raising is how members get on various committees so that even if one is not running for reelection, fund raising determines how much actual legislating one can do. And worse than that, which committees one is on makes a big difference on how much money one can raise. Committees that are in charge of spending the money, or regulating wealthy businesses have the potential to raise more money from those deeply interested in the the legislation that comes through them.

4 Likes

It should be the core of their job. Full stop. anyone who prioritizes financing campaigns over their actual JOB they actually got HIRED to do by their constituents needs to go right out the door.

Can we not do this please? It’s gendered and it’s stigmatizing to sex workers. There are better phrases you can use that aren’t so full of bullshit.

13 Likes

My mom mailed her xmas card to Jr. Kidd on 18 Dec. It arrived on Inauguration Day. I don’t know where it went because there were zero postmarks on it. I could’ve reused the stamps since they weren’t cancelled.

10 Likes

If she is the person in this video, she’s also a creepy stalker.

7 Likes

Those idiots need to realize how bad they are fucking over small businesses. The art print was a small business. I just got a new UV flashlight from a small business. It came late, but only by 2 days, so I feel lucky. Small businesses use the USPS a lot. People like Amazon are less effected - and probably gaining business because of it.

3 Likes

Republicans don’t actually give a shit about small businesses.

16 Likes

Isn’t it illegal to threaten members of congress with bodily harm? Why isn’t this asshat being investigated?

5 Likes

So… here’s a funny thing about “small businesses”… Did you know that Amazon bought up thousands (some believe it’s hundreds of thousands) of storefront front ends and kept them as is so that customers believed that they were buying from small businesses when in reality, they were being fulfilled by amazon.

3 Likes