A butts-on review of Boing Boing's favorite bargain bidet

I have the exact same issue (well, that and being Canuckistani so no BB store buys for me!)

I am now tempted to crowdfund a full-featured Japanese deluxe toilet seat with Bidet for Jason just for the review of each feature…

2 Likes

I’ve been pricing these and window shopping, and the only way Id get one, is if I could hook it into the sink fixture somehow. Make sure the temperature is perfect before sitting down, and then do the deed.

1 Like

Jason may have the same issue I have that prevents using a wonderful Japanese washlet seat – no power outlet to plug the thing in. Depending on how old your house is (and where it’s located), a power outlet anywhere near a toilet can be rare in the US; the nearest outlet of any kind to my toilet would require an extension cord running down a hallway.

2 Likes

For many people using toilet paper is like trying to wipe peanut butter out of a shag carpet.

10 Likes

I… can never unsee that imagery in my head now.

8 Likes

Here you go.

5 Likes

Is that why the carpet in the safe was dank???

3 Likes

For those who don’t like the cold shot (which I like!), for not much more money (Amazon.com, $60, ) you can get a bidet that attaches to both the cold and hot water supply; a mixer valve lets you set the desired temperature. I had that exact model for ~1 year, absolutely loved it.

Just replaced it with a much more expensive unit (~$400) that solves my only issue with these inexpensive units: warm air dryer. I have limited arm/wrist/hand mobility, making the “pat dry with a few tissues” move difficult. Clean as a whistle but wet is uncomfortable.

One bonus of the warm air dryer… it’s obvious if you’ve missed a spot. Warm up poo has a distinct smell.

Fancier model also comes with: seat warmer, quiet-close lid, and a wall-mountable wireless remote. So now clean-up is like a video game! About the only thing it’s missing from the most expensive units is odour control, lights, and music.

My wife and girls love it. I suspect most people would too, if they just give it an honest try.

5 Likes

came here to type this. i have the exact unit reviewed, and i can’t imagine going above the 3rd dot, which is powerful enough to almost make me wince a little.

actually, this is incorrect: it comes from the wall, but BEFORE the tank. i would hate to use the water that is in my tank, since i put those bleaching things in there. no bleachwater spraying my butthole, please!

4 Likes

My wife needed one after she broker her wrist, and had some issues. We’re on our second one (the first one broke, and was flopping around under the seat…), and it’s the one reviewed. Luckily, we live in Florida, and so our water is definitely warmer than were we grew up, Ohio, and it’s not much of a problem. Even connected to a hot water line up north like Ohio would be a problem because you’d already be clean by the time you got to any hot water.

Full pressure first time? It’s a wonder you aren’t bleeding!

2 Likes

Bidet is no longer Vice President, so who’s paying them?

10 Likes

For what it’s worth, this particular model — of which I am a proud owner — connects by inserting a t-joint between the water source and the tank, so it is in fact coming from the pipe. I live in northern Montana, it gets plenty cold in the winter, and the cold water really isn’t that much of an issue.

2 Likes

It’s good, but let’s not get carried away. All product reviews exist in the shadow of George Takei’s…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/review/R3PG4OX6C5KVN4?ref_=glimp_1rv_cl

26,100 of 26,347 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for an Starfleet Helmsman, April 17, 2013
By George Takei
My husband Brad always warns me not to try and update my Facebook page while I’m driving. “You’ll hit another pedestrian,” he says. “This isn’t the Enterprise, there isn’t a deflector array.” Then along comes a miracle product like this! I can now happily fly at warp speed down the streets of Los Angeles, laptop or mobile device perched right in front of me, so I can keep both eyes right on it AND on the road. It’s so much easier to ignore all the frightened screams and annoying honking when you’ve got Facebook to look at while driving. Thank you, Wheelmate!

9 Likes

…or like trying to forget that simile.

If you have hemmorhoids, or are dating a French person, this cheap bidet is butts-down the fav for cleaning some Boing Boing hiney.

As a (half) French person dating an American, I am amused and curious about the meaning here.

2 Likes

I am altering the deal.,[quote=“orenwolf, post:21, topic:101619”]
I am now tempted to crowdfund a full-featured Japanese deluxe toilet seat with Bidet for Jason just for the review of each feature…
[/quote]

quoting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilets_in_Japan

The plain word for toilet is benjo (便所?, place of convenience or place of excrement), from the word ben (便?) meaning “convenience” or “excrement”, and this word is fairly common.[5]

That’s an … interesting… word to have around. I shall never look at convenient labour saving devices in quite the same way again.

Way ahead of you…looks like Brondell’s already made this happen.

Said it last time, will say it again: bidets and squat toilets give you hope for humanity.

1 Like

Ok, I LITERALLY just installed mine 30 minutes ago, and tried it for the first time. I was expecting shock and awfully chilly sensations in areas I prefer not to speak of, but it was actually no big deal. Granted, it’s 90 degrees outside at the moment, but I don’t see how that’s relevant.

2 Likes