A California restaurant shuts down after death threats for not allowing BLM masks

FFS, I can’t even remember the last time we ate in a restaurant w/our friends…it was just before Gov Whitmer tightened restrictions the second time.

My best friend has thrown some V small parties since then, but Michigan’s plague numbers have been much too high for us to feel comfortable attending them. We wouldn’t until the weather & Gov allow small outdoor gatherings, or being around people is finally safe again.

7 Likes

This, to me, is basically the point. If they really did have to shut down because of this and not the economic crisis through our government is fiddling, then that’s the customers’ choice.

But there’s a line across which wanting to maintain a neutral environment becomes hear to evil see no evil. Where is that line? I know where it is for me, but I can’t draw it for anyone else.

Nonetheless, I’m not eating at a place that pretends to neutrality on a fascist movement, and I don’t blame anyone else that makes the same choice.

Just so I’m clear, death threats (if they occurred and I think it’s plausible they did or didn’t because there are assholes “on both sides”) are beyond the pale.

5 Likes

Neither should things like “a 40-hour workweek should be enough to live on,” “everyone deserves a quality education,” and “you shouldn’t have to choose between dying or going broke.” These days acknowledging the humanity of others seems to make you a damn commie, and commies is politics.

9 Likes

Ils y doivent travailler devant la majestueuse égalité des lois, qui interdit au riche comme au pauvre de coucher sous les ponts, de mendier dans les rues et de voler du pain. C’est un des bienfaits de la Révolution.

Seems a fair translation to me.

3 Likes

I hear that. I also think there is a difference between an equally applied dress code and pretending at neutrality, though. Unlikely in this case, but I could imagine a small business supporting the movement in social media and/or donating to the cause, but still having a “black bottom, white top, white mask, no designs or slogans” dress code. Aside from the mask, that’s pretty common in a lot of seated dining.
Thinking of it from the employer’s end, I wouldn’t want to have to deal with an employee wanting to wear a trump mask. I just wouldn’t want to have to deal with that crap, so I would make a rule like that above.

And as to the not eating at places that pretend neutrality, or openly go the other way, we found our line when we learned the delicious and beautiful local orchard and hard-cider house were avid trumpers. And they had such delicious donuts. It’s a real shame, but not worth all the cider and donuts in the world to put money in their pockets.

5 Likes

Last time my wife and I ate at a restaurant with friends was back in March, a week before St. Paddy’s and the shutdowns.
Last time we “ate at a restaurant”, it was drive-through fast food, eaten in our car in the parking lot. Probably last summer or fall? We’ve done take-out.

1 Like

Sorry to hear this. It’s been a few years since I’ve eaten at Girl and the Fig, but they seemed to be nice people and the food was good. Not how they should treat their staff.

1 Like

Brief tangent:
I knew a lovely Bill Stewart when mom and I lived on Hazelwood. :slight_smile:

why should commentary on supporting basic human rights be banned anywhere?

1 Like

And if anyone is interested in looking at raw data…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.