A California restaurant shuts down after death threats for not allowing BLM masks

Originally published at: A California restaurant shuts down after death threats for not allowing BLM masks | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Title should say not allowing BLM masks to be worn by working wait staff. Some places have a rule about dress-code, and often include nothing written on any clothing. If it’s a fairly enforced rule, this doesn’t seem over the top regarding a mask.

Again, fairly enforced is the key.

17 Likes

Yep, definitely because they got death threats, their financial status has nothing to with it. Nope, those so-called woke Millennials are to blame!
Of course I am satirising.

22 Likes

That’s kind of what happened here. They made a dress code requirement saying only masks with the restaurant’s branding. Honestly, when I read the story I thought “sounds like everybody sucks, and it isn’t that big a deal.” Not buying the death threats, though.

21 Likes

This.

We used to live in a small California mountain town where an incompetent loudmouth of a son inherited two nice restaurants. He soon had to close one of them “Because Obama,” which is to say, he had run it into the ground and needed to blame somebody else for deciding to lay everyone off one evening with no notice whatsoever.

31 Likes

Remember, Newsweek is no longer a trustworthy source

12 Likes

You shouldn’t be eating in public restaurants anyway, you goddamn sociopathic plague-spreaders. I have no intention of dying for your self-indulgent convenience.

19 Likes

If the death threats are real, people shouldn’t be doing that.

As for public outrage, you reap what you sow.

11 Likes

Does everything have to be death threats now? Can’t anyone just do petty vandalism anymore?

16 Likes

Has anyone seen any evidence of these “death threats”? I followed all the links down every source for this story and there’s no evidence reported beyond what the restaurant owner is saying. This feels like them trying to spin the situation for sympathy, coupled with conservative Newsweek trying to “both sides” bad behaviour.

32 Likes

Selfies or it didn’t happen!

Really?!

Nah, I’d have to put on pants and leave the house.

8 Likes

“The dress code, in its majestic equality, forbids black and white employees alike from affirming that black lives matter.”

Welcome to 21st century America, where racists finally stopped dog-whistling and proclaimed loud and proud that they feel threatened by people of color not being being murdered on a whim. /s

19 Likes

The original Anatole France quote, for those unfamiliar:

The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

(This is the “original” at least. I believe this is a translation and there are a few slightly different versions, but I can’t seem to find the original french version)

6 Likes

26 Likes

This is what the waiters wear in Houston.

7 Likes

And with craptastic masks, combined with airgaps everywhere, not to mention tons of people indoors not wearing masks as they eat…

Whaa…? People with covid are twice as likely to have eaten recently at a restaurant?..

13 Likes

I’m BLM up and down, but everywhere I’ve ever worked has a policy of not politicizing your job in any way.

There are zero winners in this situation, except maybe for a few folks who don’t die of Covid because they had to eat at home one day.

7 Likes

Black Lives Matter shouldn’t be a politically divisive thing to say, but in white supremacist America, nearly fifty percent of Americans think that Black lives don’t and shouldn’t.

Society, ugh.

11 Likes

Or at least, not wearing it on your clothes at work. I’m with you. As long as it’s enforced across the board, I personally don’t see anything wrong with a policy about limiting any and all slogans on “work attire.”
But, if I were to frequent an establishment in COVID times (which I’m not) I’d definitely opt for one that promoted BLM and any other anti racist, anti fascist movement.

This is so true. And what I’m saying about work attire isn’t about political divisiveness, but about a workplace, if they want to, being able to maintain a neutral environment. I’ve worked plenty of places where we had to wear a certain colored top and bottom, no patterns or words, and I could see that still being a policy.

7 Likes