Michigan family charged with murdering security guard who said daughter had to wear a mask

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/05/michigan-family-charged-with-m.html

3 Likes

What the actual fuck…

SMGDH

29 Likes

From what i read elsewhere the security guard was a father of 9. I really feel for his family, this is absolutely senseless.

26 Likes

Senseless? No.

That’s where we go wrong. To the people who committed this premeditated murder, it made perfect sense.

Figuring out WHY this was considered appropriate, and dealing with people who think that murder is a valid means of settling a disagreement is what needs to happen.

14 Likes

We’re about to start up a mandatory mask order here in Denver. My first thought was what would happen the first time a gunhumper selective constitutionalist doesn’t like being turned away from the supermarket because he isn’t wearing a mask. The security guards I see most often at my local Sooper’s are both minorities. Their jobs are about to become much tougher.

30 Likes

Wow, now I realize how good I have it as my local supermarkets don’t have/need security guards.

7 Likes

“The death of Calvin Munerlyn is senseless”

Yeah. Let’s just stick to those sensible murders.

2 Likes

Its clearly murder but the man’s death is senseless.

On a side note but related. Here in Austin masks are mandatory and yet the amount of people i’ve seen recently not wearing one when going out shopping (or wearing a mask incorrectly thus making it obsolete) is rather disappointing.

10 Likes

I have mentioned to several people including the guy making sushi at Whole Foods that not covering your nose does not work.

5 Likes

Wowsa. I saw this on the news. I feel for the guys family. And now you got 3 more people going to jail, destroying that family. Over what?? :confused:

2 Likes

This here, is exhibit A about why guns are bad. combing back with a knife instead, this very likely goes differently.

Assuming the guard had a weapon himself, the whole “armed for defence” thing is also blown right out of the water here, too.

15 Likes

There was literally not a single thing in that store they could have been trying to buy that was worth more than a buck. So two families destroyed forever over pocket change.

11 Likes

Mod note: People can be assholes (even murderous assholes) without suffering from mental illness. People try to find rational answers for irrational behaviour by looking for reasons an “otherwise normal” person might take this action.

The effect of that sort of thinking is that those individuals who are legitimately suffering with diagnosed mental illness are lumped in with murderous assholes, which 1) offers an “out” for the murderous asshole and 2) adds “maybe dangerous” to others who are not.

That’s expressly why our guidelines have a “do not assume facts about mental state unless reported elsewhere” clause.

If you want to start a “Is lead affecting the crime rate in Michigan?” Topic, go for it. But that’s a discussion about populations in aggregate, not about one murderous asshole as seen here.

24 Likes

I’m still stunned that they aren’t white ammo-sexuals.

4 Likes

9 Likes

There’s a gofundme: https://www.gofundme.com/f/donations-for-duper

3 Likes

If I murder you because I stand to inherit a million dollars when you die, the crime’s terrible but it makes sense.

This doesn’t.

6 Likes

No, I’m going to say senseless. What did they think was going to happen, they’d shoot the guard and just walk right in, problem solved? Or they’d murder him for revenge and their lives somehow wouldn’t be utterly ruined forever? Even from their perspective, even if they thought killing a person was somehow justified, there’s no possible outcome where this is a solution to anything and ends well for anybody. Their actions very literally make no sense.

8 Likes

Ok. Point taken.

Not yet. The father and son are still at large.