A cappella bass singer goes deep, very deep

Touche. I will freely admit to my general inability to keep metal sub-genres straight. Finnish doom, Norwegian black, Danish unicorn…it all kind of blends together at a certain point.

1 Like

i waited long for the day when i could argue about metal on boingboing. thank you!

1 Like

Wow! That C was so low, it almost shattered by beer stein.

I can feel it shattering my soul…in a good way, I guess.

Reminds me of the bass singer in Ray Stevens’s “Dooright Family” blowing up when he tries to hit a very low note: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEso026hTOU

Reminds me of Albert Kuvezin, and other Tuvan throat singers. Possibly the same technique.

1 Like

to be fair, black and doom really couldn’t sound further apart as far as extreme metal. finland is also noted for its 80s hardcore, and there are a number of japanese bands that play finnish hardcore. i can’t really think of any danish bands except for amdi petersens army. i don’t think there’s a specifically danish sound but i could be wrong.

alright, it’s on! nachtmystium fucking blows and the last few darkthrone records are way underrated.

I suspect Pescovitz had one of those brain farts where you substitute one term (a capella, in this case) for another one that’s similar but not the same. The quartet we’re looking at - well, pointing and gaping at - is not a capella nor barbershop. It’s your standard gospel quartet. The original (linked above) says it’s the Crystal River Boys, but they may not be the same Tennessee-based group that’s now at crystalriverboys.com.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.