Watch this terrific bass-forward version of "Ain't No Sunshine"

Originally published at: Watch this terrific bass-forward version of "Ain't No Sunshine" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I wonder what those low notes feel like inside Castellucci’s body.

6 Likes

I like what Kid Frost did with it for Eddie Olmos’ film, American Me.

2 Likes

He also has a Patreon where he posts entries and videos on his process and upcoming projects. He certainly comes across as personable, knowledgeable, and pretty darn humble for someone with that kind of voice.

Very cool. It’s understandable that he sits down to hit those low notes. I have to be really relaxed to go there and he’s much smoother.

Impressive; though the lack of mids and highs rather diminishes the song overall, IMO.

That’s more fun than the cover:

Wow. First off, he’s really talented, but listening with headphones, I found it unsettling and anxiety-inducing. No critique of his performance, but I very quickly had to turn it off. Weird.

3 Likes

Same. Not sure why, but I listened to this version from Notting Hill as a unicorn chaser…

3 Likes

It does take some getting used to. The first thing of Voiceplay’s that I heard was The Dragonborn Comes, which starts with Geoff doing a very low drone. Low enough that I actually bounced off the song the first time. Probably for the same reason, that the note just hit some weird place in my brain that I wasn’t thrilled with.

That said, once I’ve gotten a bit more used to it, I’ve really come to love both Dragonborn and this song. And Hoist the Colors. Sometimes it just takes some exposure.

1 Like

At first I thought it was autotuned. He sounds like Josh Turner, but without the range.

I am, admittedly, a fan of Geoff’s, but I’m not sure I get where you’re coming from about the lack of range. Ain’t No Sunshine isn’t the best for showing that, but you could go to pretty much any other video on his channel and see it. I’d suggest Sound of Silence, High and Dry, Misty Mountains Cold or I See Fire. All of which are REALLY good and spend a bit less time in the basement.

That said. He IS best known as a bass singer with an astonishing timbre and tone for how low he goes. So finding him, vocally, in Hell’s subbasement isn’t unusual, either.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.