A Collective Blog of Commenters

I’m curious why no one else has mentioned Squarespace yet. Seems to be a low-fuss platform. Anyone have experience with them?

Thirded.

1 Like

That’s a good point you bring up about libel, but I was worrying about copyright issues. Y’know for images, sounds, what falls under fair use or Creative Commons or whatnot.

God knows my Badass game-posts wouldn’t stand up to much scrutiny if any money at all was involved.

Sup, Marxists?

9 Likes

I’ve had Panama IP blocked for over a decade. Don’t go giving me reasons to make exceptions.

Fourthimified. Fourthed. Whatever.

Fifthed!

7 Likes

So, I missed it… who is writing for this thing?

3 Likes

That’s you. The rest of us are just wrestling over platform and cost issues.

Your first article is due by close of business today. Get typing!

13 Likes

That’s a hell of a stake, WH. That said 1) I’m not sure we are going to need that much and 2) I think we should make sure everyone has a chance to contribute, whether that’s cash or time or rack space or whatever. Good to know you’re in for that, but let’s keep it in reserve. And if @subextraordinaire feels like tossing in some cash, I’m excited that there’s another person willing to push this idea forward and put skin in the game, whether or not we end up taking it.

4 Likes

Just PM the relevant info when you have it! :relaxed:

2 Likes

shit…

Working title: The Case Against Deadlines (You Can’t Hurry Likes)

10 Likes

I actually rather like Commentariat. But it may not be everyone’s bowl of borscht, eh comrade?

For those seeking GMT equivalences, I’m in the Pacific Daylight Time zone so that’s 7 hours after UTC and 8 hours after London Summer.

All y’all have a lot of suggestions about platforms, so I vote yes on Slack, yes on something easy to use, and he rest’s up to you.

When do I start writing and how do I submit?

3 Likes

Excellent and works for me!

I’ve always thought that initial design works best when the whole suite of options is available, so honestly it’s kind of self serving. I can guarantee I’ll get more entertainment out of this than a new TV or computer, so it’s actually money well spent. I’ve got my priorities straight. :slight_smile:

Consider it a pool you guys can dip into if needed rather than some expectation that it has to be spent or something that gives me some special privilege.

3 Likes

Which brings up another point, related to editorial: submission workflow.

There’s a couple ways this can go, as I see it (bloggin’ n00b that I am). Since we’re all amateurs, spread all over the globe, typing up our posts on seventy-three different devices across a half-dozen OSes, I don’t expect we’ll just submit all our “manuscripts” to some poor luckless bastard of an editor who will format every post for the blog, do the copyediting and picture-formatting, and all that crap. I mean, who still does that? And who wants to have to pay for some schmuck to do it?

So I assume the blogging platform itself will be directly accessible by all of us, so we can type and edit and format our own posts, get them all lookin’ as spiffy as we can, and then submit them to Editorial for approval and adding to the post queue.

Right? Or am I nuts? Is there another obviously superior workflow that hasn’t occurred to me yet? There’s gotta be, right?

6 Likes

I sure hope so! :grin:

1 Like

good. good.

yes. the opposite would be the “Two Guys and a Truck” approach, such as “Bloggin’ It Up!” We need something more middle-ground.

1 Like

To me this raises a different salient question: Is there going to be viewpoint-based rejection of articles? On the one hand, you can say, “Nope, we censor for quality and consistency, but not viewpoint.” This always works until someone wants to be the next Vox Day. The other, more likely, factor we’ll encounter is a slapfight between contributors that never ends, “Oh, another 20 page rant about how guns cause abortion and religion to ruin the world… I’ll get right to reading that… eventually.” I’m very much for thoughtful discussion, but at a certain point the audience (except for some die-hard zealots) loses interest quicker than the participants. So on the one hand, I want to say viewpoint censorship is for tyrranical chumps, and on the other hand, the Internet breeds a rather boring class of polemicism I’d like to actively discourage.

4 Likes

Lowbrow as I am, I do like Sprung. Has a Boingy onomatopoeia to it, and connotes freedom… “sprung from the Big House,” like we’ve broken free from the ol’ BBS as well as sprung from it like Aphrodite from the seafoam of Uranus’ severed cock.

Now there’s a t-shirt.

6 Likes

Or the possessive, y’alls’s’. No joke, I heard multiple people using this last time I was in Houston.

7 Likes