šŸ–• šŸŠ šŸ¤” A Continuing Round-Up of Trumpian Events šŸ–• šŸŠ šŸ¤”

Yes indeed and so can CNN and MSNBC as both are running with similar sentiment.

trump mistook all those red Nationals hats for MAGA hats. Boy, was he wrong.

12 Likes

The best bit is that if he runs against a man he wonā€™t be able to use that chant at his rallies. Mostly.

1 Like

I think it was more nuanced than that.

From my understanding, there were a couple of factors at play ā€“ one was not giving slave states disproportionate representation in Congress, and also as a way to communicate that the economic value of slaves was approximately 3/5 that of a free person. (Not that a slave was 3/5 human.) The framers also tried to build a kill switch into this as a way to abolish slavery within a few years.

It was a huge gamble that was poorly conceived and poorly implemented all to try to save the Constitutional Convention from collapse.

Of course, it all failed spectacularly and weā€™re still contending with the fallout from this today. (Civil war, segregation, institutional racism, southern states gaming the electoral college, and so on.)

5 Likes

I get all that, itā€™s what I learned too.

But the article I linked to shows that the concept of slavery being commonly understood at the time of the writing of the Constitution wasnā€™t actually true even then. There were already several states who had written into their own constitutions that slavery was evil. So anyone who claims ā€˜original understandingā€™ with the Constitution is ignoring that there wasnā€™t a common understanding used to create the document at the time.

11 Likes

An interesting point I hadnā€™t consideredā€¦who doesnā€™t bring their 13yo son to a World Series game, if given the chance?

17 Likes

Rob was already one that one:

4 Likes

Kurds help us in the fight against ISIS.
Trump betrays the Kurds and allows the Turks to attack them.
Trump takes credit for al-Baghdadiā€™s suicide.
And thereā€™s this:

ā€œThe irony of the successful operation against al-Baghdadi is that it could not have happened without U.S. forces on the ground that have been pulled out, help from Syrian Kurds who have been betrayed, and support of a U.S. intelligence community that has so often been disparaged,ā€ Richard N. Haass, the president of the Council on Foreign Relations, said on Sunday.*

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/al-baghdadi-raid-was-a-victory-built-on-factors-trump-derides/ar-AAJrTBj?ocid=spartandhp

8 Likes

The Trump boys donā€™t look like scholar-athletes to me. While they do seem to enjoy unsportsmanlike safaris, kicking the less-fortunate, and trumpeting their vast ignorance over the internet, those arenā€™t really sports in the classic sense of the word.

3 Likes

Maybe Barron didnā€™t want to go. Maybe he doesnā€™t like baseball, or maybe he knew something would happen that would piss his dad off, and heā€™d have to deal with the brunt of it on the way home.

Or maybe he just really, really doesnā€™t want to be seen with his father and only does when he has to. Since his dad doesnā€™t really care about him except as a prop, thatā€™s easier than for a lot of kids.

14 Likes

That seems like the most probable scenario, IMO; that kid is the only person with that last name whom I genuinely pity.

12 Likes

Also, has he really been seen at many public appearances? I know heā€™s on the spectrum, and I would hope that itā€™s a decision made to shield him from public scrutiny, but given the narcissism involved, one has to wonder if part of it is hiding him away? That being said, prior to the election he was in the publicity photos that they had taken by various magazines (People or whatever), so maybe not.

9 Likes

If you think about it, that baseball game was really 45ā€™s first public appearance since taking office which was not a campaign promotion or some carefully cultivated Pro-Pumpkin venue packed with his rabid supporters. As for Barron, the last time I can recall even seeing him with his parents was at that eclipse.

13 Likes

I probably should have tagged that with an /s.

Weā€™ve been shortchanging the Kurds for their assistance in the region for decades, at the minimum.

8 Likes

:+1:

From what Iā€™ve read, itā€™s more like weā€™ve been helping the Kurds fight ISIS, rather than the other way around.

5 Likes

No critique of your statement on my part. My response was simply meant to add on to the comments re Trump and Kurds.

1 Like

Me too, although I think he did the thing with the turkey last thanksgiving, too. Although, my favorite presidential moment with the kids at a public event was probably when this happenedā€¦ Iā€™m sure the President was making some corny joke, cause he was kind of about corny jokesā€¦

whateverdad

14 Likes

That too. Iā€™m just remembering an old NatGeo article on the Kurdish situation Iā€™d read way back in '84 or so.

6 Likes

I want to be in the universe where the dog can voice their own decisions about whether or not to attend :peach::hole:'s stupid ego-stroking event.

Of course, if someone was going to give me the opportunity to universe-hop, I have a few other places Iā€™d rather go first. If only because that universe just sounds like Bojack Horsemanā€™s universe and Iā€™m not 100% sure Iā€™d want to live there either. (Or maybe itā€™s the Ozy & Millieverse, which I guess wouldnā€™t be so bad, plus Trump would be a thematically appropriate garbage animal so that would make me feel better.)

11 Likes

Have you been hurt in a car wreck? Havenā€™t gotten your check yet? My team and I will fight the insurance companies for every dollar you deserve.

14 Likes

The ā€œbrain powerā€ in that room is staggering no?

What a bunch of wankers.

Clearly they spent more time in wardrobe than actual strategy.

7 Likes