šŸ–• šŸŠ šŸ¤” A Continuing Round-Up of Trumpian Events šŸ–• šŸŠ šŸ¤”

Iā€™ll buy that daylight certainly existed between Nixon and other candidates, but itā€™s never the president just presiding over events and making decisions in a vacuum. Other things and people play a role in public policy. Itā€™s likely that some of these things would have turned out different, but I suspect that Nixon and Kissinger werenā€™t the only ones who saw value in detente and reapproachment. History isnā€™t just made by ā€œgreatā€ men, in other words, but is more complicated than that.

8 Likes

Yeah, more or less since Kennedy and maybe a bit before the US and USSR military and diplomatic apparatuses were slowly coming to a realization that any war whether it was nuclear or not couldnā€™t happen from the simple fact that it would require total mobilization of their populations. Whether itā€™s the US trying to use NATO as a beachhead or the USSR island hopping near Alaska, thereā€™s no such means to occupy the other to make them relent. They could lob bombs at themselves forever so long as they had launch vehicles and a means to build them but neither would have to surrender.

5 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

But equally we can say that we wouldnā€™t know if the bad policies he promulgated might not have happened under a different president. The difference between a Nixon and a Trump (or Reagan) is that Nixon didnā€™t actively resist the positive changes; rather, he embraced them or even got ahead of them, and happily added them to his portfolio.

For example, the EPA (for whom I worked for a while) was a White House initiative created by executive order; the first director, Bill Ruckelshaus, already had a long and solid track record of environmental advocacy. Reagan, by contrast, appointed Anne ā€œNeil Gorsuchā€™s momā€ Burford to the job with an explicit brief to tear the agency down.

Weā€™ve had plenty of bad presidents over the centuries, what made Reagan and then Trump different from a Nixon or a Harding was that for the latter the president serves the office, whereas for the former the office serves the man. The resulting damage of that on the structure is far more damaging and enduring.

4 Likes

Hell, compared to Trump, Reagan was downright progressive with some of his policies.

4 Likes

Take a wild guess to which party heā€™s in?

13 Likes

Just another (player of the) white male victim (card).

11 Likes
11 Likes

As soon as Trump found out about BitCoin, he invited the the head of BitCoin to Mar-a-Lago and the guy never showed up.

9 Likes

Thereā€™s a ā€œhead of bitcoinā€? Doesnā€™t that undermine the entire purpose of bitcoin?

7 Likes

President Donald Trump took some time out of his evening to tweet about cryptocurrencies today, announcing to the world that he is ā€œnot a fanā€ of Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies because their ā€œvalue is highly volatile and based on thin air.ā€

Emphasis mine. It seems they stole his whole m.o.

5 Likes

I think by ā€œhead of Bitcoinā€ he was making an oblique joke about the pseudonymous Satoshi Nakamoto that created Bitcoin.

Which if you think about it is exactly the kind of Onion-level fuckery that Trump would do.

Completely fake tweetā€¦ but I bet you thought for a brief moment that it was real.

8 Likes

Oh, lovely, a bipartisan election hack alert law bill for Mitch McConnell to feed into the shredder

8 Likes

Here in Britain, we have a habit of not thinking about the consequences of our ā€˜Good Ideasā€™.

2 Likes

So, his social media summitā€¦ didnā€™t work out so well.

9 Likes

BAM!

Adios MthrFkr

I hear R Kelly needs help.

15 Likes

Well thank goodness thatā€™s over. I was really starting to doubt Trumpā€™s devotion to the rule of law and the appearance of propriety. Now that Acosta has stepped down, Iā€™m sure there will be no more questions about Jeffrey ā€œTerriffic Guyā€ Epstein.

Incidentally, I think itā€™s high time he sacked the only Hispanic in his Cabinet. Acosta was a bad look for him; made Hizzoner High-and-Mighty look like he wasnā€™t sincere about his hatred for Latin Americans. /s

6 Likes

After reading this piece from The Daily Beast, Iā€™m sure that this will get even more attention.

Sounds as if Epstein was ā€œfarmingā€ young girls everywhere.

12 Likes

I hear R Kelly is the next Secretary of Labor.

6 Likes