🖕 🍊 🤡 A Continuing Round-Up of Trumpian Events 🖕 🍊 🤡

Sigh. They’re overlooking the people in the background spending a lot of money to manipulate the alt-right and push the rest of the right towards them. They’ve been clearing that ground and sowing the seeds for decades, so it’s a little late to be surprised at the crop.

The mainstream of the Republican Party is happy to play footsie with the alt-right. They might distance themselves a little when someone is killed or someone is a little too open a racist, but they knew what those people were from the start.

9 Likes
12 Likes

“ProTrump Democrat?” What the ever loving fuck is that? I mean, I recognize the letters, but can you even string them together that way? I feel like a fundamental law of physics has broken or something.

12 Likes
11 Likes

Those are some very, very strange Democrats.

7 Likes
11 Likes

16 Likes

But every once in a while,

2 Likes

I got to take issue with that. Nixon was very much guilty. In addition to watergate (which is what brought him down), he bombed the hell out of cambodia, spied on American activists, is complicit in the death of Fred Hampton, and created the modern shift in the GOP to the party of racism. Without Nixon, no Trump, I’d argue.

13 Likes

9 Likes

Even here on BB there are people opposed to open borders; I’ve had pushback when suggesting it.

For sure Nixon was a crook – we knew that when he was still VP – and a racist and antisemite and abuser of power and a redbaiter (while at HUAC) and he created the GOP southern strategy that in turn led to the rise of theocratic interference in politics. OTOH we now know (thanks to documents declassified under Clinton) that we were bombing Cambodia years before he took office. Also, without Nixon we’d have no EPA, no OSHA, his federal set-aside program was a precursor to affirmative action, he opened up relations with China, he ended the draft and the war in Vietnam, he signed the ABM treaty, and while VP he had a pretty nice cocker spaniel.

Nixon, while a truly nasty piece of work, was also complicated and smart, and thought the office of president was important and not just another gig, so while unarguably one of the worst people ever to sit in that office his presidency was not a real aberration. I think Reagan is really the guy who started the intentional degradation of the office that eventually made a Trump possible.

5 Likes

Although I’m a “fuck borders” person myself, AOC’s proposal is nowhere near open borders. As suggested by the second tweet, abolishing ICE and the DHS would merely return the USA to the pre-Bush status quo.

12 Likes

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/452546-ocasio-cortez-accuses-pelosi-of-persistent-singling-out-women-of-color-its

12 Likes

It would reduce the “trade deficit,” which is something he cares about if certain advisors are in the room.

They don’t seem too concerned with the actual deficit deficit though.

7 Likes

I suppose you’re right with current usage. The GOP will of course call anything short of a force field “open borders”; Trump accused HRC in 2016 of supporting open borders because she supported the 2013 " Border Security, Economic Opportunity, and Immigration Modernization Act" (which didn’t open anything). I tend to think of a no-border-at-all policy (which I support) as “fully open borders”, while simply “open” might include an immigration and travel policy. Conflating the two is part of standard GOP scaremongering, and I didn’t mean to contribute to that.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/danriffle/status/1148368648110784514?s=21

8 Likes

A FEw peOPLe WhO TypE LIKe THis ON SoCIAL MEdIa about COnspiraCY thEOries, SLAndeR & ThreATen peoPLE ArE UPSeT THey’RE noT INViteD tO moaN abOUt beIng bAnned on SOCIAl MEDia aT ThE WHite houSE

6 Likes

He also ramped it up, though.

There is no knowing that, actually. The pressure for regulation might have led to EPA and OSHA anyway, plus possibly the end of the draft and the war in Vietnam… and reapproachment with China and various detente treaties might have happened anyway, for some of the same reasons, there was just other forces that might have led to that or something similar.

He also beat his wife, so there’s that.

I disagree. Nixon played a role in that as well.

11 Likes

He only cares about it because it sounds scary and ominous when in reality it doesn’t mean much of anything from an economic perspective.

4 Likes

Indeed - I find it hard to believe that Humphrey or McGovern wouldn’t have done the same things - and much more if given the chance.

I mean yeah, Nixon wasn’t all bad - he did do some good things and I’ll give him credit for being a smart and skilled politican. Good for him. I wouldn’t go so far as to say he was good for America, though.

7 Likes