A Continuing Roundup of Nickelback Events

Thread for the inadvertent derail here: 🖕 🍊 🤡 A Continuing Round-Up of Trumpian Events 🖕 🍊 🤡

2 Likes
11 Likes

Watch Nickleback disavow that muthafucka, now.

Also I must:

8 Likes

That would be extra special if 45’s demise came due to a crappy Canadian band.

7 Likes

FTFY    

4 Likes

Nah, I live in the North Windsor, Ontario area. I assure you there are other crappy Canadian bands. Our so-called “alternative” radio station is Canadian, subject to Canadian-content law.

6 Likes

It’s not like Nickelback is even that bad – they are a perfectly competent group of musicians. I have always found the problem being that they are competent and polished to the point of being completely mediocre. Kind of like a musical equivalent of a ham and cheese sandwich. Taken by itself there’s nothing at all wrong with it, but it sure is boring.

(I do give them credit for having a sense of humor about their “lol Nickelback sux” status – after all, they have sold tens of millions of records, so really the joke’s on us.)

12 Likes

Getting way off-topic now, but I will note that the morning DJs on the afformentioned Canadian radio station once decided to play two Nickleback songs at the same time. Turns out there is very little difference between the two. Yes, they are professional musicians. No, that doesn’t mean they’re fantastically creative or particularly good at writing songs. This band exists on the radio because the record company executives that kept the likes of 38 Special on contract long after the world moved on still exist.

7 Likes

Not to defend Nickleback, but the fact that two of their songs are very similar is not suprising, they’ve got 10 albums. No Surprises is basically Fake Plastic Trees (now we’re really gonna derail the thread!*).

I remember thinking that one Nickleback hit was fine. Honestly I think they exist because they just randomly caught fire. I mean, there’s got to be ten thousand bands doing very similar things and it’s just this one random band that graduated from Canadian content laws to international ill-repute. Meanwhile most people outside of Canada have probably never listened to Nautical Disaster by the the Tragically Hip. There’s no justice.

* ETA: Forgot what thread we were in, you can’t derail this any more than you can touch MC Hammer.

14 Likes

Yeah, Ray Davies had a tendency to write many Kinks tunes twice.

12 Likes

Hey, if it’s good, might as well run it back, right?

7 Likes

The oddest thing about having a Canadian station as our only “alternative” station (for a really long time it was, at any rate) is that I’m never really sure how popular any given band actually is outside of Canada. :woman_shrugging:

10 Likes

Every now and then as a Canadian I find out a band is Canadian and that no one outside of Canada knows who they are and it’s very surreal. But then sometimes the reverse happens and you find out that some band had international success and you just feel confused. Why them? Nickleback? Nelly Furtado? I liked the Crash Test Dummies, but Mmm mmm mmm mmm is a weird-ass song to achieve international success with.

10 Likes

I’ll cop to liking How You Remind Me; it’s the only song of theirs that I actually know, but the melody and the lyrics still resonate with me.

7 Likes

Yeah, that’s the one. It was on the tip of my tongue. I’m pretty sure I’ve heard other songs of theirs in grocery stores or whatever. I always assumed the hate directed at them was sort of like an inside joke that somehow the entire world is in on. Not that I have ever actively sought to listen to their music, but I also don’t think I’ve ever run out of a building to avoid hearing it (and I have done this with other music).

6 Likes

I’m reasonably fond of Burn It To the Ground (fun drinking/party song). Otherwise… it was one of my ex’s favorite bands, so I haven’t really listened to them in years, and I don’t miss them a bit.

(True story: I was all but laughed out of a snooty record store trying to find the ex a Nickelback album for a Christmas gift. Never went back.)

Finger Eleven, on the other hand, is an example of an excellent Canadian rock/alt band, with albums full of terrific songs, and great live shows. Fight me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@anon50609448 and @IronEdithKidd : I’m an American, but I live in Detroit so Canadian radio has been a part of my life forever. So when I mention this or that familiar-to-me band to someone who’s never heard of them it sometimes surprises me.

(Do we need a thread split here? :rofl: )

6 Likes

CIMX, Detroit’s ONLY alternative. We’re listening to the same station. :joy:

3 Likes

Here:

4 Likes

Consider it done.

5 Likes

3 Likes