A crocodile attacks a cheetah

Originally published at: A crocodile attacks a cheetah | Boing Boing

3 Likes

summer world GIF

7 Likes

Surprise? Sure But I think Grabs and Eats is a better description.

5 Likes

I was staring at the crocodile just waiting… turns out that was just some mud and I didn’t see the crocodile at all. eesh

1 Like

I’m not sure what it was about my prior comment–which accurately described this video that I wish I hadn’t been clickbaited into watching–that got it deleted.

This is absolutely an unpleasant video if you’re a cat person, or even just a mammal person.

EDIT I see the title’s been changed, which I guess explains it.

13 Likes

Indeed. Keep this video FAR AWAY from the Unicorn Chasers thread. That’s where I’m headed now, because I really has a sad after watching that.

10 Likes

Taking that fast food to go. Damn, nature don’t mess around.

3 Likes

Well the bright side is - the crocodile won’t starve to death.

3 Likes

As Geralt of Rivia would say, “Fuck.”
sad unicorn

7 Likes

Fascinating how the croc struck the moment the cheetah stopped scanning the water and looked down.

2 Likes

Thank you. I figured I’d better check the comments first. Now I’m not watching it.

4 Likes

Nature has ZERO fucks to give.

1 Like

“This is the very sad, sad part…”

Not at all, just humans anthropomorphizing.

I tell my kid after videos like this "if we took a video from the other animals perspective it would be completely different. Perspective is everything.

If this video was “here’s a female crocodile and she is loaded with eggs, if she doesn’t get this last meal before laying eggs she won’t have enough energy to tend her nest and the next generation of crocodiles won’t make it”.

https://crocdoc.ifas.ufl.edu/publications/fieldtrips/nestingcrocodiles/

“Unlike with sea turtles, hatchling crocodiles cannot dig their way out of the nest. They are dependent on mom to open the nest up. Once opened, the young can crawl out on their own or mom gives them a ride to water. Mom can also carry her babies anywhere from a meter to kilometers from the nest to protected nursery habitat.”

6 Likes

Crocodiles attaching cheetahs?

Tortoises eating birds?

What next?
giphy

2 Likes

Cheetahs are the fastest land animals… sometimes.

Think about the speed of the croc attack, cheetah reflexes have to be off the charts, and it stood no chance.

I have gotten so used to jaguars catching and eating caimans that I forgot that it’s the other way around as well.

In South America, the big cats prey on the lizards.
In Africa, the lizards prey on the big cats.

Life. Go figure.

1 Like

The narrator knew about the croc before he attacked, so I guess in a wider shot we’dve seen the croc submerging prior to the attack.

Thank you for the content warning. This definitely is not a Wonderful Thing.

5 Likes

Croc is gonna crocodile. It’s nature’s way of boobytrapping a watering hole.

1 Like

It provoked wonder in me. I thought it was fascinating. I love cats but crocodiles gotta eat too.

2 Likes