A Cup of Coffee (1980) Mormon anti-coffee short

Next film: the kids learn coffee is a gateway drug when Mrs. Olson begins demanding Coke.

8 Likes

I was joking about that partā€¦

1 Like

What a twist!

1 Like

This song makes a lot more sense now:

4 Likes

On the east coast we sometimes donā€™t realize how big the LDS is out there. My brother in law told me when he was ā€œliving in sinā€ with his old girlfriend in Utah they figured it was better to pretend to be married and Mormon so they could get work and not have to answer a lot of prying questions. Of course it led to other difficult questions from his co-workers, like ā€œso where did you do your missionary work?ā€

4 Likes

So, being a drug dealer is okay in Mormonism, you just canā€™t sample your wares?

8 Likes

I, too, saw Cipherā€¦ a couple of times in school. Mid-seventies Alabama. I remember identifying a lot with the kid, as I was kind of an outsider myself. (Some things never change.) Weirdly, it flew over my head that ā€œcipherā€ was used in the sense of ā€œzeroā€. I had always inferred it was used to mean ā€œtranspositional codeā€, so I read into the film a lot of things that werenā€™t necessarily there. Again, some things never change.

4 Likes

Translated: ā€œthose wise, gentle older immigrant women are really good for selling products in TV ads.ā€

2 Likes

Coming in to add my two cent about that as well I remember these films. I thought they were pretty lame.

I remember that movieā€¦shudder

3 Likes

In the early days of Salt Lake City, there was some controversy over whether Mormons should serve Gentiles liquor. Brigham Young OKā€™d that.

6 Likes

Iā€™m hoping that itā€™s funnier at a remove of 30 years. I come from a non-religious background, so they all sound very weird to me.

2 Likes

Itā€™s all a bit strange to look back on.

I really believed, because I was taught to believe, and all that weird Mormon stuff was completely normal to me.

The outside world is very strange to me and Iā€™m still adjusting. I made the break in 2009, and my life has been much better since then, but I still think like a Mormon in a lot of ways.

19 Likes

I think he does also, at least the things that have to do with kindness and love. He never let that part go. The reason he will stop in a snowstorm and help someone on the side of the road, has to do with his mormon upbringing. Some of the other stuff, having to do with heaven or church secrets, that sounds weird to me. But loving your neighbors, feeding the hungry, visiting the sick and weary or those in prison, thatā€™s part of what makes him so wonderful.

7 Likes

In lieu of a like, I give you this:

3 Likes

I knew most of them renounced polygamy, but a dark room in the basement - wow, thatā€™s even better!

1 Like

simply following the doctrine of brother Eazy:
ā€œDonā€™t get high on your own supplyā€

2 Likes

So either I missed the point or most of you did, but looked to me like that was a short about not rushing to judge other people because you might have easily misunderstood something you saw or heard. Which seems like a pretty reasonable message despite being layered in 70ā€™s cheese, and one that most people and maybe mormons more than most could stand to take to heart. Not really an ā€˜anti-coffeeā€™ short in and of itself, rather it just assumes as part of the mormon culture an understanding that they shouldnā€™t drink coffee.

5 Likes

Oh wow, I never thought Iā€™d find this film again! Thank you! It was shown at my midwestern public school around 1984 and I pretty heavily identified with the kid, but all I remember was the kid stepping off the bus and dying in the snow. When I was twelve thatā€™s pretty much what I felt like doing every day. And, according to the film, there was nothing I could do to stop it. It was a relief, really. At least at that time in my life.

Thanks for posting this. Patches up quite a few holes in my early memories.

3 Likes

Lived in Sweden. They make American coffee snobs look like tasteless fools who would drink anything. A bad cup of coffee is not even a thing in Stockholmā€¦and God help you if you are appointed to make the next batch of java for the office, and do it even slightly wrong. I thought my Swedish colleagues were going to plaster me in wasted grinds one morning. Never made that mistake againā€¦

7 Likes